Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is this integration correct?

1. May 21, 2015 #1
    I have come across the following integral in my PhD research.

[tex]\int_{-L_y/2}^{L_y/2}\int_{-L_x/2}^{L_x/2}e^{2 i k \sqrt{(d \cos\theta + x)^2+(d \sin\theta + y)^2}}dxdy[/tex]

Ultimately, x and y are integrated out and I will be left with a function of ##\theta##. I am doing this the following way. First I make the following substitutions.

##u=d\cos\theta+x \rightarrow du=dx ##
    ## v=d\sin\theta+y \rightarrow dv=dy ##

So then I get,
    [tex]\int \int e^{2 i k \sqrt{u^2+v^2}}dudv.[/tex]

But then I can make yet another variable substitution by letting,

## r= \sqrt{u^2+v^2} \rightarrow dudv=rdr. ##

Which gives me,

[tex]\int e^{2 i k r}r dr[/tex]

I can easily integrate this by parts, and (assuming I did all my steps correctly) I get the following.

[tex]\frac{1}{2k}e^{2 i k r}\left[ \frac{1}{2k}-r \right][/tex]

Now here is where it gets tricky for me

I now need to back substitute for ##r## to get it in terms of my original variables ##x## and ##y##. When it comes to evaluating the limits, can I just use the expression I got (after substituting back) and first evaluate for ##x## and then for ##y##?

Or perhaps I can just leave r in and just use the min and max values of u and v to write the limits of r?

##r_{min}=\sqrt{(d\cos\theta - L_x/2)^2+(d\sin\theta-L_y/2)^2}##
    ##r_{max}=\sqrt{(d\cos\theta + L_x/2)^2+(d\sin\theta+L_y/2)^2}##

2. jcsd
  3. May 21, 2015 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

Your method looks good. I didn't check the integration by parts, but I don't doubt that it is correct.
    However, when you go to put the limits of integration, it is best to consider the limits with each change of variable.
    ## u = d\cos\theta + x## so your limits on ##u## are simply ## d\cos\theta-L_x/2 , d\cos\theta+L_x/2 ## similarly for ##v##.
    When you change to ##r##, you have to look at the actual minimum value of the variable over the range of u and v.
    If ##L_x/2 > d\cos \theta \text{ and } L_y/2 > d\sin \theta## then your minimum will be 0. Consider various other cases.
    Your maximum will be at ##d \cos \theta + (sign [d\cos\theta]) L_x/2## and similarly for the y component.
    Know the signs of your constants and the domain of theta to make this process simpler.

4. May 21, 2015 #3

RUber

Homework Helper

## \int e^{2ikr} r dr##
    ## \frac{1}{2k}e^{2 i k r}\left[ \frac{1}{2k}-r \right]##

When I checked the integration by parts, I still had some imaginary coefficients, like ##\frac{1}{2ik}##.

5. May 21, 2015 #4
    Thank you for your response! That makes perfect sense. I will go through it and see if it is straight forward or not.

Also yes you are correct, I accidentally dropped a factor of ##i##.

6. May 25, 2015 #5
    $$ dx\,dy = r\,dr\,d\phi $$

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook