Integrating Over Multiple Variables: Is This Approach Correct?

In summary, In this integral, x and y are integrated out and I will be left with a function of ##\theta##. I am doing this the following way. First I make the following substitutions. u=d\cos\theta+x \rightarrow du=dx v=d\sin\theta+y \rightarrow dv=dy r= \sqrt{u^2+v^2} \rightarrow dudv=rdr. I can easily integrate this by parts, and (assuming I did all my steps correctly) I get the following. \frac{1}{2k}e^{2 i k r}\left[ \frac{1}{2k}-
Xyius
I have come across the following integral in my PhD research.

[tex]\int_{-L_y/2}^{L_y/2}\int_{-L_x/2}^{L_x/2}e^{2 i k \sqrt{(d \cos\theta + x)^2+(d \sin\theta + y)^2}}dxdy[/tex]

Ultimately, x and y are integrated out and I will be left with a function of ##\theta##. I am doing this the following way. First I make the following substitutions.

##u=d\cos\theta+x \rightarrow du=dx ##
## v=d\sin\theta+y \rightarrow dv=dy ##

So then I get,
[tex]\int \int e^{2 i k \sqrt{u^2+v^2}}dudv.[/tex]

But then I can make yet another variable substitution by letting,

## r= \sqrt{u^2+v^2} \rightarrow dudv=rdr. ##

Which gives me,

[tex]\int e^{2 i k r}r dr[/tex]

I can easily integrate this by parts, and (assuming I did all my steps correctly) I get the following.

[tex]\frac{1}{2k}e^{2 i k r}\left[ \frac{1}{2k}-r \right][/tex]

Now here is where it gets tricky for me

I now need to back substitute for ##r## to get it in terms of my original variables ##x## and ##y##. When it comes to evaluating the limits, can I just use the expression I got (after substituting back) and first evaluate for ##x## and then for ##y##?

Or perhaps I can just leave r in and just use the min and max values of u and v to write the limits of r?

##r_{min}=\sqrt{(d\cos\theta - L_x/2)^2+(d\sin\theta-L_y/2)^2}##
##r_{max}=\sqrt{(d\cos\theta + L_x/2)^2+(d\sin\theta+L_y/2)^2}##

Physics news on Phys.org
Your method looks good. I didn't check the integration by parts, but I don't doubt that it is correct.
However, when you go to put the limits of integration, it is best to consider the limits with each change of variable.
## u = d\cos\theta + x## so your limits on ##u## are simply ## d\cos\theta-L_x/2 , d\cos\theta+L_x/2 ## similarly for ##v##.
When you change to ##r##, you have to look at the actual minimum value of the variable over the range of u and v.
If ##L_x/2 > d\cos \theta \text{ and } L_y/2 > d\sin \theta## then your minimum will be 0. Consider various other cases.
Your maximum will be at ##d \cos \theta + (sign [d\cos\theta]) L_x/2## and similarly for the y component.
Know the signs of your constants and the domain of theta to make this process simpler.

Xyius said:
Which gives me,
## \int e^{2ikr} r dr##
Xyius said:
I can easily integrate this by parts, and (assuming I did all my steps correctly) I get the following.
## \frac{1}{2k}e^{2 i k r}\left[ \frac{1}{2k}-r \right]##When I checked the integration by parts, I still had some imaginary coefficients, like ##\frac{1}{2ik}##.

Thank you for your response! That makes perfect sense. I will go through it and see if it is straight forward or not.

Also yes you are correct, I accidentally dropped a factor of ##i##.

$$ dx\,dy = r\,dr\,d\phi $$

1. How do I know if my integration is correct?

There are a few ways to check if your integration is correct. You can compare the results of your integration with a known, reliable source or use a testing tool to verify the functionality. Additionally, you can review the code and make sure it follows best practices and standards.

2. What are some common errors that could indicate an incorrect integration?

Some common errors that could indicate an incorrect integration include incorrect data being displayed, unexpected errors or crashes, and inconsistent results. These issues could be caused by improper data handling, incorrect logic, or compatibility issues with other systems.

3. How can I troubleshoot an incorrect integration?

To troubleshoot an incorrect integration, you can start by reviewing the code and checking for any obvious errors or inconsistencies. You can also use debugging tools to track the flow of data and identify any potential issues. It may also be helpful to consult with other developers or experts for their insights and advice.

4. What should I do if I suspect my integration is incorrect?

If you suspect that your integration is incorrect, it is important to address the issue as soon as possible. First, try to identify the source of the problem and make any necessary corrections. Then, thoroughly test the integration to ensure it is functioning correctly. If you are unsure how to fix the issue, seek assistance from other developers or technical support.

5. How can I prevent incorrect integrations in the future?

To prevent incorrect integrations in the future, it is important to follow best practices and standards when developing code. This includes proper data handling, thorough testing, and regular maintenance and updates. It can also be helpful to document the integration process and keep track of any changes or updates made. Additionally, seeking feedback and advice from other developers can help improve the quality of your integrations.