Is this mathematical proof that beamsplitters entangle photons

In summary, Professor S Lakshmi Bala discusses how beamsplitters affect the wavefunctions of input photons, depending on the number of photons used and the input port. The creation and annihilation operators are used without other elements, raising questions about the necessity of other elements in quantum circuit schemes. The energy reflection coefficient and Fresnel E-field coefficients are used to compute the splitting of a single beam or two mutually coherent beams. It is worth noting that only one face of the beamsplitter actually does the splitting, while the other face has 100% transmission with an anti-reflection coating. The beamsplitter process conserves energy and the relative phase of the two beams determines the energy distribution.
sciencejournalist00
Prof. S Lakshmi Bala from Department of Physics, Madras, India writes a blackboard of equations which show how beamsplitters used alone affect the wavefunctions of input photons. It seems that it depends on the number of photons you use and in which input port to get you a different entangled state. Using 1 in port A and 1 in port B gives a different entangled state than 2 photons on 1 input port and none in the other.

The creation and anihillation operators a-dagger, b-dagger are used in association with the beam splitter alone, without use of other elements. Makes me think whether I could discard other elements from my quantum circuit scheme or not.

Physics news on Phys.org
This seems to be a rather advanced topic and I don't think I know the answer, but I think I can add something of use that may not be well known except perhaps by physics people with some expertise in optics. With a single beam incident on a beamsplitter, the energy reflection coefficient (R) can be used to compute the splitting or alternatively the Fresnel E-field coefficients (e.g. r where r^2=R) can be used to compute the resultant splittings, with intensity I=n*E^2 computed for each E-field that gets split. When two (mutually coherent) beams are incident from opposite directions, the R is no longer a good number, but the Fresnel E-field coefficients are used to determine what happens to each beam. (Maxwell's equations are linear, so the E-fields behave linearly, but the energy( e.g. from each beam) does not obey linear superposition principles.) One additional item worth mentioning is normally only one face of the beamsplitter actually does the splitting and the other face has an AR (anti-reflection coating) and has 100% transmission. For a 50-50 energy split, R=1/2 so that Fresnel r=+/-1/(sqrt(2). In general Fresnel r=(n1-n2)/(n1+n2). (and Fresnel t=2n1/(n1+n2)) Also note that a reflection off of a more dense (higher n) material picks up a "minus" sign which is essentially a "pi" phase change. (i.e. when n2>n1). Energy is completely conserved in the beamsplitter process, and the relative phase of the two beams will determine the distribution of the energy emerging from the beamsplitter.

1. What is a beamsplitter?

A beamsplitter is an optical device that splits a beam of light into two or more beams. It is commonly made of a partially reflective mirror or prism.

2. How does a beamsplitter work?

A beamsplitter works by reflecting a portion of the incoming light and transmitting the rest. The amount of light reflected and transmitted is determined by the properties of the beamsplitter, such as the angle of incidence and the type of material used.

3. What is entanglement?

Entanglement is a phenomenon in quantum mechanics where two or more particles become correlated in such a way that the state of one particle cannot be described without considering the state of the other particle(s). This means that the particles are intrinsically connected and can influence each other's behavior even when separated by large distances.

4. How can beamsplitters entangle photons?

Beamsplitters can entangle photons by splitting a single photon into two beams and then recombining them. This process creates a superposition of states where the two photons are entangled, meaning that the state of one photon cannot be described independently of the other.

5. Is there a mathematical proof that beamsplitters entangle photons?

Yes, there is a mathematical proof that beamsplitters can entangle photons. This proof is based on the principles of quantum mechanics, such as the superposition of states and the principle of entanglement. However, the actual experimental demonstration of entanglement through beamsplitters requires precise control and measurement techniques, which can be challenging to achieve.