Is this tensor operation valid?

• Thread starter arroy_0205
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Tensor
In summary: You are multiplying each component of the vector with the function, and then summing them up. This is a perfectly valid operation. In summary, the conversation discusses the validity of multiplying both sides of a relation by a contravariant tensor and then contracting. This operation is shown to be valid through the use of a specific example and is further explained with the concept of component-wise multiplication and summation. The speaker also expresses their doubt and asks for references to further understand the concept.
arroy_0205
Can anybody help me clear my following doubt?
Suppose, I have a relation of the form
[tex]
f(p_{\mu},q_{\mu})=0
[/tex]
Then can I multiply the both sides by [tex]p^{\mu}[/tex] and then contract?
[tex]
p^{\mu}f(p_{\mu},q_{\mu})=0
[/tex]
After this I want to use the identity [tex]p^{\mu}p_{\mu}=m^2[/tex] as known in special relativity. So I am first multiplying both sides by a contravariant tensor and then using the summation convention. The question is am I doing it right? I feel this is a valid operation and I have tested one simple example where this is valid but I am not able to prove it in general. Can anybody help? You may refer to some books or website also where I can look up.

Physics news on Phys.org
arroy_0205 said:
Can anybody help me clear my following doubt?
Suppose, I have a relation of the form
[tex]
f(p_{\mu},q_{\mu})=0
[/tex]
Then can I multiply the both sides by [tex]p^{\mu}[/tex] and then contract?
[tex]
p^{\mu}f(p_{\mu},q_{\mu})=0
[/tex]
After this I want to use the identity [tex]p^{\mu}p_{\mu}=m^2[/tex] as known in special relativity. So I am first multiplying both sides by a contravariant tensor and then using the summation convention. The question is am I doing it right? I feel this is a valid operation and I have tested one simple example where this is valid but I am not able to prove it in general. Can anybody help? You may refer to some books or website also where I can look up.

Hi arroy_0205! :smile:

It would have to be fµ, not just f:

[tex]f_{\mu}(p_{\nu},q_{\nu})=0[/tex]

Then you can contract:

[tex]p^{\mu}f_{\mu}(p_{\nu},q_{\nu})=0[/tex]

Were you thinking of a particular function f? :smile:

Hi tiny-tim,
Thanks, and yes you are right it should be [tex]f_{\mu}[/tex]. In fact I was trying to consider a general form like say
[tex]
a_1p_{\mu}+a_2q_{\mu}=0
[/tex]
there is no constant term in the left hand side. But the proof is still not clear to me. This is sort of obvious but without a solid proof I hesitate to accept. May be I am overlooking something obvious and trivial regarding its proof.

arroy_0205 said:
[tex]a_1p_{\mu}+a_2q_{\mu}=0[/tex]

Hi arroy_0205! :smile:

Then, multiplying both sides by [itex]p^{\mu}[/itex] :

[tex]p^{\mu}(a_1p_{\mu}+a_2q_{\mu})\,=\,0[/tex]

so

[tex]a_1p^{\mu}p_{\mu}\,+\,a_2p^{\mu}q_{\mu}\,=\,0[/tex]

or

[tex]a_1m^2\,+\,a_2p\cdot q\,=\,0[/tex] :smile:

That is true, however by multiplying with [tex]p^{\mu}[/tex] I am also introducing summation, this is not like ordinary multiplication by a function but multiplication followed by summation. My doubt is there, whether this kind of operation is appropriate.

No, it's fine! :smile:

It is like ordinary multiplication by a function …

it's four ordinary multiplications, added together …

which is perfectly valid! :biggrin:

arroy_0205 said:
That is true, however by multiplying with [tex]p^{\mu}[/tex] I am also introducing summation, this is not like ordinary multiplication by a function but multiplication followed by summation. My doubt is there, whether this kind of operation is appropriate.

Yes. Of course it is valid.
Just think of this operation component-wise.

1. What is a tensor and what does it mean for an operation to be valid?

A tensor is a mathematical object that represents geometric or physical quantities that have multiple components. An operation on tensors is considered valid if it follows the rules of tensor algebra, such as preserving the number of indices and their types.

2. Can any operation on tensors be considered valid?

No, not all operations on tensors are valid. For an operation to be valid, it must follow the rules of tensor algebra and preserve the geometric or physical meaning of the tensors involved.

3. How do I determine if a tensor operation is valid?

To determine if a tensor operation is valid, you can check if it follows the rules of tensor algebra, such as the index conventions and transformation laws. You can also analyze the physical or geometric meaning of the tensors involved and see if the operation preserves this meaning.

4. What are some common mistakes when performing tensor operations?

Some common mistakes when performing tensor operations include mismatching indices, using incorrect index notation, and not considering the order of operations. It's also important to keep track of the types of tensors involved and their transformation properties.

5. Are there any resources available to help with understanding and performing valid tensor operations?

Yes, there are many resources available such as textbooks, online tutorials, and lecture notes that explain the rules of tensor algebra and provide examples of valid tensor operations. It's also helpful to practice and familiarize yourself with the basic rules and properties of tensors.