Is this true? The area of a circle can be approximated by a polygon

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of whether the limit of the area of an n-sided polygon, as n approaches infinity, is equal to the area of a circle. It is suggested to use a formula for the area of a regular polygon in terms of the circumradius and number of sides, and take the limit as the number of sides increases. The conversation also mentions finding the perimeter of the polygon in terms of a circle and the need to calculate x in terms of n in the given equation.
John Clement Husain
TL;DR Summary
Does the limit as n approaches infinity of the area of an n-sided polygon equal to the area of a circle?
Hello everyone!
I have been looking for a general equation for any regular polygon and I have arrived at this equation:

$$\frac{nx^{2}}{4}tan(90-\frac{180}{n})$$

Where x is the side length and n the number of sides.

So I thought to myself "if the number of sides is increased as to almost look like a circle, does it result in the area of a circle?"

Is this:

$$\lim_{n\to\infty} \frac{nx^{2}}{4}tan(90-\frac{180}{n}) = \frac{C^{2}}{4\pi}$$

true?

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
$$tan(90-\frac{180}{n}) $$
should become smaller with increasing n, to get a finite limit.

John Clement Husain said:
Summary: Does the limit as n approaches infinity of the area of an n-sided polygon equal to the area of a circle?

Hello everyone!
I have been looking for a general equation for any regular polygon and I have arrived at this equation:

$$\frac{nx^{2}}{4}tan(90-\frac{180}{n})$$

Where x is the side length and n the number of sides.

So I thought to myself "if the number of sides is increased as to almost look like a circle, does it result in the area of a circle?"

Is this:

$$\lim_{x\to\infty} \frac{nx^{2}}{4}tan(90-\frac{180}{n}) = \frac{C^{2}}{4\pi}$$

true?

Why are you taking the limit as ##x \rightarrow \infty##?

If you keep ##x## fixed, then the area is infinite as ##n \rightarrow \infty##. If you want your polygon to tend to a finite shape, then you need ##x## and ##n## to be related.

Note that using ##l## for the length of a side might have been more conventional.

It might be simpler to look at the angle, ##\theta = 2\pi / n## at the centre of the polygon and have a fixed distance to the vertices, ##r##, say.

Then you let ##n \rightarrow \infty## and see what happens to the limit of the area of the polygons. Note that the length of the sides of the polygon will tend to ##0## in this case.

Last edited:
Likes John Clement Husain
I extended the title to more accurately describe the topic.

PS what's perhaps more interesting is to show that the length of the perimeter of the polygons, ##nl##, tends to ##2\pi r##.

PeroK said:
Why are you taking the limit as ##x \rightarrow \infty##?

Oh! right, that was a typo.[/QUOTE]

John Clement Husain said:
Oh! right, that was a typo.

You still need to calculate ##x## in terms of ##n##.

It's easier to see if you find the area in terms of one variable relating to a circle. Take for instance the area of a regular polygon in terms of the circumradius r and number of sides n.

##A = \frac{r^2 n sin(\frac{2\pi}{n})}{2}##

The limit of this formula as the number of sides ##n\rightarrow\infty## is the familiar formula for the area of a circle.

1. What is the formula for approximating the area of a circle with a polygon?

The formula for approximating the area of a circle with a polygon is A = (1/2)nr2sin(2π/n), where n is the number of sides of the polygon and r is the radius of the circle.

2. How accurate is this method of approximating the area of a circle?

The accuracy of this method depends on the number of sides of the polygon used. The more sides the polygon has, the closer the approximation will be to the actual area of the circle.

3. Why is this method used instead of the exact formula for the area of a circle?

This method is used because it is easier to calculate and can provide a good approximation for the area of a circle without having to use calculus or advanced math concepts.

4. Can this method be used for circles of any size?

Yes, this method can be used for circles of any size as long as the polygon used has a sufficient number of sides to provide an accurate approximation.

5. Are there any limitations to using this method for approximating the area of a circle?

One limitation of this method is that it can only provide an approximation of the area of a circle, not the exact value. Additionally, as the number of sides of the polygon increases, the calculation becomes more complex and time-consuming.