Is tutoring college students a lucrative option for part-time work?

In summary: College students are not "broke." 4. Middle-school students and up are the best for tutoring. 5. You should advertise your services in a specific area (math, for example) to avoid embarrassing the tutor. 6. It's not a good idea to tutor if you're still learning the material or have just "finished learning."
mathdad
Tutoring on a part-time basis is a nice way to make money. Someone once told me that tutoring grades 1 to 12 brings in more money because parents want their kids to learn. College students are a different breed, so to speak.

For the most part, college students seek short-term tutoring. Also, college students try to avoid paying tutors what they truly are worth hiding behind the excuse that they have no money. I do not believe that college students are broke.

Questions:

1. What grade level is best for tutoring as a second job?

2. If you are a tutor in your local area, what has your tutoring experience been like in terms of extra cash?

Physics news on Phys.org
I never had any problems with getting students to tutor in college. Although the fact that I was cheaper then the other tutors (ie I was undercutting them) and did marathon exam reviews (again for cheap) probably helped.

I'm out of the loop as far as knowing any tutors around here...I live in a small town, so not a good area to do tutoring. In fact, the last tutoring I did was about three years ago. (I even offered free GED tutoring, specifically in Math and Science, I still couldn't get any students.)

Anyway I don't think there is any real bad point in education to start tutoring. If I had to suggest I would say start at Junior High level (grades 7 and 8, sometimes 6) for most American schools. If you can reach them there then High School is a bit easier on the student and they can focus on learning, not on the basics they never learned in Junior High.

-Dan

I feel comfortable in terms of tutoring middle school students and, of course, grades 1 to 5. I need to get a deeper understanding of high school level mathematics before trying to help others. This is why I continue to learn as much precalculus as possible.

How about advertising specific areas in math? For example, helping students with geometry but not trigonometry or algebra 1 but not 2 and vice-versa. It is never a good idea to advertize as a tutor for courses that one may not be ready to teach. This could be highly embarrassing.

I don't think it's such a good idea to start tutoring content that you're still learning yourself, or have just 'finished learning' (this doesn't actually happen for a very long time).

Besides there are far better and easier ways of making money..

EDIT: You also need to think about it from the perspective of the student. Fifth grade math may not seem like much, but small mistakes and misunderstandings early on can lead to bigger ones later, and could be overall quite damaging for the student.

Last edited:
Joppy said:
I don't think it's such a good idea to start tutoring content that you're still learning yourself, or have just 'finished learning' (this doesn't actually happen for a very long time).

Besides there are far better and easier ways of making money..

EDIT: You also need to think about it from the perspective of the student. Fifth grade math may not seem like much, but small mistakes and misunderstandings early on can lead to bigger ones later, and could be overall quite damaging for the student.

I have no intentions of tutoring now. It is just a thought, a plan, an idea. There are easier ways to make money, you say. At 52, I work as a security guard.

Not too many companies anxiously waiting to hire a middle-aged person. I'm trying to see what else I can do to make much-needed extra cash to get myself out of the ghettos of the Bronx, New York. You see, I hate my neighborhood, the Bronx, the whole nine yards.

Jobby,

I am not crazy enough to tutor anyone in precalculus when I am currently reviewing material learned in 1993.

That’s good. Don’t give up! :).

Joppy said:
That’s good. Don’t give up! :).

I've practically lost all my friends because, at 52, they think my passion for school and learning should have ended more than 20 years ago. Thank God I disagree.

- - - Updated - - -

I am not ready for the grave. I still have another, what, 30 years to enjoy mathematics and the beauty that it brings.

RTCNTC said:
I've practically lost all my friends because, at 52, they think my passion for school and learning should have ended more than 20 years ago. Thank God I disagree.

- - - Updated - - -

I am not ready for the grave. I still have another, what, 30 years to enjoy mathematics and the beauty that it brings.

Learning is a lifelong process, and I’m sure you’ll agree that your friends and sorely mistaken!

Joppy said:
Learning is a lifelong process, and I’m sure you’ll agree that your friends and sorely mistaken!

1. My so-called friends are not true friends.

2. Most of my friends took remedial math courses in high school and college.

3. Most of my friends think math is for nerds or simply for people who cannot find a date, and thus have no life.

4. Most of my friends are party people who think the word COOL applies to gangster-like individuals whose main language is rap music.

Thank God I have no more sense than that, right?

1. What is the importance of tutoring for achieving best grades?

Tutoring can be crucial for students who are struggling to understand certain subjects or concepts. It provides one-on-one attention and personalized instruction, which can greatly improve a student's understanding and retention of material. Additionally, tutors can help students develop study skills and strategies that can lead to better grades in all subjects.

2. How can a tutor help me improve my grades?

A tutor can provide individualized instruction and support tailored to your specific learning needs. They can also identify areas where you may be struggling and provide additional resources and practice materials to help you improve. Tutors can also help you develop strong study habits and time management skills, which can directly impact your grades.

3. What subjects can be covered in tutoring for best grades?

Tutors can cover a wide range of subjects, from math and science to English and history. They may also specialize in certain subject areas, so it is important to find a tutor who is knowledgeable and experienced in the specific subject you need help with.

4. Is tutoring only for students who are struggling academically?

No, tutoring can benefit students of all academic levels. Even high-achieving students can benefit from tutoring by challenging themselves with advanced material or getting additional support in a subject they may be struggling with. Tutors can also help students prepare for standardized tests and college entrance exams, which can ultimately lead to better grades and academic success.

5. How often should I attend tutoring sessions for best grades?

The frequency of tutoring sessions will depend on your individual needs and goals. Some students may benefit from weekly sessions, while others may only need occasional support. It is important to communicate with your tutor and establish a schedule that works best for you and your academic goals.