Is x/(1+e^(1/x)) differentiable at x=0

In summary, the function f(x)= x/(1+ e^{1/x}) is not differentiable at x=0 because it is not even defined at x=0. The author of the problem did not give a precise definition of the function, so it is not clear if f(0)=0 or if the function is continuous at x=0. If we assume that f(0)=0, then the derivative does exist, but it is not clear how to calculate it.
phymatter

Homework Statement

is x/(1+e1/x) differentiable at x =0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i calculated the right and left hand derivative and got them as 0 and 1 respectively , so it should not be differentiable, is it right my book says that it is differentiable ?

Physics news on Phys.org

Show what went into your results.

WolframAlpha says that you're correct!

Last edited:

SammyS said:
Show what went into your results.

WolframAlpha says that you're correct!

my book says that i am wrong , but i think iam convinced that i am right , thanks!

The function you give is not differentiable at x= 0 because it is not even defined at x= 0. What is the function value at x= 0?

Assuming that you also have f(0)= 0, then the difference quotient is
[tex]\frac{f(h)- f(0)}{h}= \frac{h}{1+ e^{1/h}}\frac{1}{h}= \frac{1}{1+ e^{1/h}}[/tex]
which goes to 1 as h goes to either [itex]\infty[/itex] or [itex]-\infty[/itex].

You are wrong and your book is right.

Last edited by a moderator:

HallsofIvy said:
The function you give is not differentiable at x= 0 because it is not even defined at x= 0. What is the function value at x= 0?

[tex]\frac{f(h)- f(0)}{h}= \frac{h}{1+ e^{1/h}}\frac{1}{h}= \frac{1}{1+ e^{1/h}}[/tex]
which goes to 0 as x goes to either [itex]\infty[/itex] or [itex]-\infty[/itex].

How can the book be right when the book says that it is differentiable, and you clearly say that it isn't?

Char. Limit said:
How can the book be right when the book says that it is differentiable, and you clearly say that it isn't?

Because it is differentiable. I don't think he means what you think he means by non existent at 0 at least I hope so or I am confused.

Easiest way to solve this argument is to graph it.

At x=0, y = "0" though just plugging in the numbers, that should tell you something division by what is what?

This is differentiable because of the asymptote I think not despite it. To put what he said in words rather than latex, maybe that will help?

Last edited:

HallsofIvy said:

which goes to 0 as x goes to either [itex]\infty[/itex] or [itex]-\infty[/itex].

i guess by x you mean 1/h , but when 1/h goes to -infinity , e1/h goes to 0 , this means the last expression 1/(1+e1/h) becomes 1
and yes f(0)=0

Calrid said:
Because it is differentiable. I don't think he means what you think he means by non existent at 0 at least I hope so or I am confused.
If you are referring to my post, yes, I did mean that- in the first post, we were told that the function was [itex]f(x)= x/(1+ e^{1/x})[/itex] which is NOT defined at x= 0. If we assume that f(0)= 0, then the derivative does exist.

Easiest way to solve this argument is to graph it.

At x=0, y = "0" though just plugging in the numbers, that should tell you something division by what is what?
Plugging numbers into what? You cannot set x= 0 and get y. If you mean that values of x close to 0 give values of y close to 0, then to conclude that the value of f(0) is 0, you would have to know that the function is continuous at x= 0 and we were also not told that.

This is differentiable because of the asymptote I think not despite it. To put what he said in words rather than latex, maybe that will help?
There is no "asymptote". Assuming that f(0)= 0, this is just a basic differentiable function.

Last edited by a moderator:

[tex]f(x)= x/(1+ e^{1/x})[/tex] and

[tex]g(x) = \left\{
\begin{array}{lr}
x/(1+ e^{1/x}),~ x \neq 0\\
0,~ x = 0
\end{array}
\right.[/tex]

are different functions. If you calculate the corresponding limit of the first function as x approaches 0 and then define the value of said function as the limit, you'll have made the function continuous and then and only then does it make sense to calculate the derivative via the limit definition, as HallsofIvy has pointed out.

However, as the original function was given to us, I have to say it is not differentiable as it's not even defined for x = 0. It is indeed natural to "fill in" the removable discontinuity, but the author of the problem has to give us the precise definition of a function if he expects us to give precise answers.

HallsofIvy said:

which goes to 1 as h goes to either [itex]\infty[/itex] or [itex]-\infty[/itex].

@ HallsofIvy, (assuming that the removable discontinuity has been removed.)

Why did you take the limits as h → +∞ & h → ‒∞, rather than h → 0+ & h → 0 ?

HallsofIvy said:
If you are referring to my post, yes, I did mean that- in the first post, we were told that the function was [itex]f(x)= x/(1+ e^{1/x})[/itex] which is NOT defined at x= 0. If we assume that f(0)= 0, then the derivative does exist. Plugging numbers into what? You cannot set x= 0 and get y. If you mean that values of x close to 0 give values of y close to 0, then to conclude that the value of f(0) is 0, you would have to know that the function is continuous at x= 0 and we were also not told that. There is no "asymptote". Assuming that f(0)= 0, this is just a basic differentiable function.

My bad obviously I typed the wrong function into a grapher. Or the grapher was ****.

Either way ignore me. :D

obviously put a bracket in the wrong place and it all went pear shaped. :D

Not literally obv. :)

SammyS said:
@ HallsofIvy, (assuming that the removable discontinuity has been removed.)

Why did you take the limits as h → +∞ & h → ‒∞, rather than h → 0+ & h → 0 ?

Reviewing this message, I have to say, my thoughts exactly. If I'm not mistaken, on one side, the derivative is 1, and approaching from the other side, it's 0. Hence, even when the discontinuity has been dealt with, the function is not differentiable.

1. What does it mean for a function to be differentiable at a specific point?

When a function is differentiable at a specific point, it means that the slope of the tangent line at that point exists and is equal to the derivative of the function at that point.

2. How do you determine if a function is differentiable at a given point?

A function is differentiable at a given point if the limit of the difference quotient (f(x+h) - f(x))/h exists as h approaches 0. If the limit exists, the function is differentiable at that point.

3. Is the function x/(1+e^(1/x)) continuous at x=0?

No, the function is not continuous at x=0 because it is undefined at that point. The denominator, 1+e^(1/x), becomes 1+e^∞, which is equal to infinity.

4. Can a function be differentiable but not continuous at a specific point?

No, a function must be continuous at a point in order to be differentiable at that point. If a function is not continuous, it cannot have a derivative at that point.

5. Is x/(1+e^(1/x)) differentiable at all real numbers?

Yes, x/(1+e^(1/x)) is differentiable at all real numbers except for x=0. The function is undefined at x=0, so it is not differentiable at that point. However, it is differentiable everywhere else on the real number line.