Isentropic Effeciencies of steam turbines

In summary, the problem is finding the enthalpy and entropy of the outlet state for an isentropic process. To do this, you need to find the pressure and entropy at the same temperature. Interpolation of the steam tables is necessary.
benny85
Hi,
I'm have big problems calculating the Isentropic Effeciencies of steam turbines. There is a HP, IP and LP turbine in the system. I know the calculation is (h1 - h2)/(h1 - h2'), i have the temperatures and pressures in and out for the first two turbines so i can easily get h1 and h2 from the steam tables for each of these but how do i find h2'??

any help on this would be great, its been wrecking my head for hours.

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi benny, welcome to the board. h2' is the enthalpy of the outlet given the process is isentropic. So if you know the inlet state, you can find the enthalpy and entropy of that state from the steam tables. If you know the outlet pressure, you can find that state because you know the pressure and entropy. The entropy will be the same as the inlet entropy. All you need to do to find h2' is to locate the outlet pressure for the turbine in the steam tables and look for the temperature at which the entropy is the same as the inlet entropy. Interpolation of the tables is generally necessary.

thanks a million, i had assumed that and had started doing it, but its nice to know I am doing the right thing. Left me with a lot of interpolation to do though.

So my problem now is first calculating isentropic effeciency of the LP turbine, the output i have been given is the pressure and dryness fraction, and i don't know what to make of the input as the feed to a feedwater heater is inbetween the IP and LP turbines. Also how might i calculate the percentage of steam sent to the feedwater heater.

Your help is very much appreciated as I am doing a distance learning Masters and this stuff is blowing my mind because iv no lecturer to ask questions.

1. What is isentropic efficiency of a steam turbine?

Isentropic efficiency is a measure of how well a steam turbine converts the energy of the steam into mechanical work. It is the ratio of the actual work output of the turbine to the theoretical maximum work output, assuming an isentropic (reversible adiabatic) process.

2. How is isentropic efficiency calculated?

Isentropic efficiency is calculated by dividing the actual work output of the turbine by the theoretical maximum work output. This can be expressed as a percentage or a decimal value.

3. What factors affect the isentropic efficiency of a steam turbine?

The isentropic efficiency of a steam turbine can be affected by various factors, including the design of the turbine, the operating conditions (temperature and pressure), the quality of the steam, and the condition of the turbine blades and other components.

4. Why is isentropic efficiency important in steam turbine performance?

The isentropic efficiency of a steam turbine is important because it indicates the effectiveness of the turbine in converting the energy of the steam into mechanical work. A higher isentropic efficiency means that the turbine is able to produce more work with the same amount of steam, resulting in better overall performance.

5. How can the isentropic efficiency of a steam turbine be improved?

The isentropic efficiency of a steam turbine can be improved through proper maintenance and regular cleaning to ensure that all components are in good condition. Additionally, optimizing the operating conditions and using high-quality steam can also help improve the isentropic efficiency.