Is the Brain the Origin of Our Thoughts, or Merely a Receiver?

• Thread starter kiki_danc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Brain
In summary: No, that's not what I was saying. I was saying that we have not seen any evidence that consciousness or the mind is anything other than an emergent phenomenon.No, that's not what I was saying. I was saying that we have not seen any evidence that consciousness or the mind is anything other than an emergent phenomenon.
kiki_danc
MRI or other scanning techniques show how particular parts of the brain 'light up' when particular mental activities are going on. But then the video and sound of TV sets also depend on the patterns of electrical activities inside it.

So different circuits are involved in images and sounds.. but this doesn't mean what you see and hear on the TV originates inside the TV.. couldn't the Brain be like this too?

What neuroscientific evidence or arguments to illustrate the brain is the origin of all we think and feel and not like a TV receiver (just a dumb terminal)?

I'm not arguing for any view, just want to know existing knowledge and facts about the brain.

Biology news on Phys.org
The analogy to the TV here would be the MRI machine and its computer, not the brain. The brain is the origin of what is being measured.
kiki_danc said:
What neuroscientific evidence or arguments to illustrate the brain is the origin of all we think and feel and not like a TV receiver (just a dumb terminal)?
It only receives inputs from the nerves in the body, which are clearly not thoughts.

mfb said:
The analogy to the TV here would be the MRI machine and its computer, not the brain. The brain is the origin of what is being measured.It only receives inputs from the nerves in the body, which are clearly not thoughts.

Nerves in the body could address unconscious processes like walking or controlling our homeostasis like breathing, heartrate and other autonomic functions. But won't some nerves be dumb terminals that connects to higher function like conscious experiences?

If you are saying all the nerves can themselves produce conscious experiences... may we know how they exactly occur? Is the evidence air tight that our nerves both produce the unconscious and conscious processes wholly and completely?

kiki_danc said:
Is the evidence air tight that our nerves both produce the unconscious and conscious processes wholly and completely?
That's the wrong type of question. On scientific basis the right question is if there is any evidence that any part of the unconscious and conscious processes is not done by nerves?

Rive said:
That's the wrong type of question. On scientific basis the right question is if there is any evidence that any part of the unconscious and conscious processes is not done by nerves?

Even if the answer is yes.. I read the prime directive or function of Physicsforums is to discuss mainstream information (so all non-mainstream information is disallowed or filtered to avoid people not taking it seriously). Therefore the safer question to ask is... "if there is any evidence that all part of the unconscious and conscious processes is done by nerves?" Well?

kiki_danc said:
All scientific evidence points to the fact the the mind is a creation of the brain. Modifications of the brain (for instance through accident, disease, lobotomy, ...) alters the mind. Following Occam's razor, there is no point in adding complexity by thinking that there is an agent outside the brain is responsible for the mind, especially since no evidence of such an external agent has ever been found.

DrClaude said:
All scientific evidence points to the fact the the mind is a creation of the brain. Modifications of the brain (for instance through accident, disease, lobotomy, ...) alters the mind. Following Occam's razor, there is no point in adding complexity by thinking that there is an agent outside the brain is responsible for the mind, especially since no evidence of such an external agent has ever been found.

I'm not talking about the homunculus or single mind behind the brain.. just the possible logic that our brain has separate consciousness... remember split brain patients where the left brain and right brain is independent and has mind of its own. hence we have akin to different minds in our brain.. and my question is whether some emotional (or abstract) aspect of us is the mind that is not in the brain.

kiki_danc said:
just the possible logic that our brain has separate consciousness...
That's the point I was addressing: by "external agent," I meant something not part of the brain itself, not something like alien signals...

Still, there is no scientific reason to think that the mind (or consciousness) is anything else than an emergent phenomenon.

You can never rule out the existence of an invisible unicorn floating next to the brain and interacting with it so minimally that we will never detect it. That doesn't make it a good hypothesis. We have never seen a part of the brain react to something that was not an input from other parts of the body. While there are many things left to understand we understand the individual components of a brain and they don't have an antenna for invisible unicorns. We also know a network of neurons alone is sufficient to explain all the "output" of a human brain.
kiki_danc said:
If you are saying all the nerves can themselves produce conscious experiences... may we know how they exactly occur?
First you have to find a test that can determine if something has a consciousness. Otherwise it is pointless to discuss consciousness.

DrClaude said:
That's the point I was addressing: by "external agent," I meant something not part of the brain itself, not something like alien signals...

Still, there is no scientific reason to think that the mind (or consciousness) is anything else than an emergent phenomenon.

Brain is originator of unconscious impulses.
Brain is originator of lower thoughts.
Brain is originator of lower emotions.

No problem about this.

But for higher abstract thoughts and higher emotions. Couldn't these be outside the brain..

In our discussions. Let's not think of this idea that a single mind controls the brain. I'm not arguing for this. Neuroscience has shown us that the brain is major source of thoughts and in many diseases, thinking is affected such that when the nail entered the brain of this Cage guy.. his behavior changes.

Or let's use the label of quantum mind that could be the source of abstract thoughts and higher emotions. What is the latest quantum mind theory right now? Note quantum mind doesn't replace the function of the brain intricate circuitry but just as the source of abstract thoughts and higher emotions like that detailed by Hameroff.

Thread closed pending moderation.

Edit: While the "quantum mind" idea has been discussed by serious people, it is not part of mainstream science. As for the original question, we don't think that more needs to be said without drifting away from what we allow here, so the thread will remain closed.

Last edited:

1. What is meant by the term "dumb terminal" in relation to the brain?

The term "dumb terminal" refers to a device that is only capable of receiving and displaying information, but does not have its own processing abilities or memory. In the context of the brain, it suggests that the brain is simply a receiver of information from the body and external stimuli, without any active decision-making or control.

2. Is the brain really just a dumb terminal?

No, the brain is much more complex and dynamic than a simple terminal. It not only receives and processes information, but also actively creates and stores memories, makes decisions, and controls bodily functions. The brain also has the ability to adapt and rewire itself, a quality not found in a dumb terminal.

3. What evidence supports the idea that the brain is not a dumb terminal?

There is a vast amount of evidence from neuroscience and psychology that shows the incredible complexity and capabilities of the brain. Studies have shown that the brain can actively modify its own structure and function in response to learning and experiences. Additionally, brain scans have revealed the intricate networks and connections within the brain, further demonstrating its complexity.

4. Can the brain be compared to a computer terminal?

While there are certainly some similarities between the brain and a computer terminal, such as their abilities to receive and process information, there are also significant differences. For example, the brain has the ability to learn and adapt, while a computer terminal can only perform tasks it has been programmed to do. The brain is also capable of emotions and consciousness, qualities that cannot be replicated by a computer terminal.

5. Why is it important to understand that the brain is not just a dumb terminal?

Recognizing the complexity and capabilities of the brain allows us to better understand and appreciate the wonders of the human mind. It also helps us to develop more effective methods for learning, treating neurological disorders, and improving overall brain health. Additionally, understanding the true potential of the brain can inspire us to continue pushing the boundaries of scientific research and discovery.