1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isochoric Process with Unknown Ideal Gas

1. Feb 14, 2015 #1
    I was assigned a problem in my Engineering Thermodynamics class as follows:
    Problem:
    An ideal gas in a rigid closed container undergoes isochoric heating from T1 = 27 C to T2 = 77 C. Initial gage pressure is 300 kPa, pressure of surroundings is 1 atm.
    Find the final gage pressure.

The way to go about solving the problem seems straight forward, as I will show my train of thought below. The only thing I am stuck up on is what R value to use for this particular ideal gas, since the gas itself is not specified, nor it's volume, nor it's specific volume, nor it's mass.

Relevant Equations:
    Pv = RT

Attempted Solution:

Here's how I attempted it:

Knowns: T1 = 27 C, T2 = 77 C, Pgage1 = 300 kPa, Psurround = 1 atm
    Trying to find: Pgage2

For an ideal gas, Pv = RT, where v = specific volume (m3/kg) and R = specific gas constant (J/kgK). If I know what R value to use, I can solve for v:

v = (RT1)/P1 where P1 = Pgage1+Psurround (in Pa)

Then, because volume V is constant, and the unknown arbitrary mass m is constant, so is v
    by the relationship

v = V/m

Then I would find P2:

P2 = (RT2)/v

It follows,

Pgage2 = P2 - Psurround (in Pa)

That's all folks. Maybe I am missing something rather obvious here, or taking the wrong approach. Again, the only thing I am stuck on is what the specific gas constant R should be. I can not solve for it with it's definition since R = R/M = nR where R is the universal gas constant (8.314 J/molK), M is molar mass of the gas, and n is moles of the gas. I have consulted Tables in the back of my text, and R is given for monatomic or diatomic ideal gas as is to be expected, but again, I'm not given those specifics in the problem. Any help is appreciated! :)

- Preston

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2015 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Why?

4. Feb 14, 2015 #3
    Why solve for v, or why am I justified in saying that?

v = (RT1)/P1 and everything on right hand side is known (if I know what R to use). Why am solving for v in the first place--

I can use the fact that v is constant through the process (remember, the system is a constant volume closed container) to solve for P2 (absolute, not gage)

P2 = (RT2)/v again, everything on the right is known at this point. Knowing the final absolute pressure allows me to solve for final gage pressure

Pgage2 = P2 - Psurround

The last two equations were in my original post, but I hope this clarifies my thought process for you.

5. Feb 14, 2015 #4

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Think.

6. Feb 14, 2015 #5
    True or false: The values of n, R, and V are the same in the initial and final states of the gas.

Chet

7. Feb 14, 2015 #6
    Chet, that is true. Bystander, I see what you are getting at now!

In both cases, (Pv)/RT = 1

so (P1v)/(RT1) = P2v/RT2 and R and v will cancel out of each side showing that the following relationship is independent of them:

P1/T1 = P2/T2 and now I can solve. Thats what I get for still being up at 3 am when I woke up 6:30 am. Ha.

Thanks so much!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted