1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isometrically isomorphic normed spaces

1. Jun 21, 2008 #1
    Let X and Y be normed spaces. If X and Y are isometrically isomorphic, then their duals X' and Y' are also isometrically isomorphic.

I have no idea what to do with this, please help. :(

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2008 #2

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

This is just a matter of writing down what you have, and understanding the definitions. Say you have an isometric isomorphism F:X->Y. We want to get an isometric isomorphism G:X'->Y'. The question you should be asking yourself is: If we start with an element f in X', how can we use this to get an element G(f) in Y'?

4. Jun 21, 2008 #3

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Duality if contravariant. Surely a morphism F:X->Y more naturally (no pun) gives a map G:Y'->X'.

5. Jun 21, 2008 #4

morphism

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Right. I had initially written my G as going from Y' to X', but decided to stick with X'->Y' in case the OP doesn't immediately see why we've switched directions. But regardless, the moment he/she sets up the obvious map, he/she will probably notice that it's easier to go from Y' to X'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?