Isospin of Photon: How Can I3 Values be Determined?

In summary, the isospin of a photon is a linear combination of I=1 and I=0 states, with the allowed values of the isospin projection I3 being -1, 0, and 1 for I=1. This can be thought of in terms of electroweak theory, where the photon is a combination of the Z and the I=0 singlet. The observables are the Z and the photon, while W0 and B0 are for bookkeeping purposes. This understanding of the photon's isospin can be useful for determining allowable isospin channels in scattering problems.
bkfizz02
I'm curious about the isospin of a photon. I have been told it is a linear combination of I=1 and I=0. If I=0, then I3 must be 0, but if I=1, what values of I3 are allowed?

I don't really have a good idea of how to think about the isospin of this boson because I can't break it down into quarks like I can for pions.

Any clarifications are appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
For I = 1, the allowed values of the isospin projection I3 are -1,0,1.

bkfizz02 probably your informant was thinking from the point of view of electroweak theory. There you have four particles, W+ W- Z and photon. It is obvious that W+ and W- change isospin, and one could think that Z is the 0 projection of the I=1 triplet. It is not; because such projection combines with the I=0 singlet to give both the Z and the photon. The mixing angle is called Weinberg angle.

In any case it is very rare to think of electroweak bosons in this way.

Last edited:
xeguy: Thanks, I guess I should have been more specific. I was curious what the specfic I3 value(s) is for the photon if it has I=1 because there are other exchange bosons that probably help span the spin 1 isospin space.

arivero:
Ok, this makes sense. I think I have heard it postulated that there exist to different particles (W0 and B0) which are the isospin states |1,0> and |0,0> respectively, but they are for book keeping and not observables. The observables are the Z and photon which are the usual linear combinations for the I3=0 states.

So, I think that I can think of the photon as a linear combination of |1,0> and |0,0> in isopsin space. My main motivation is for figuring out allowable isospin channels for a wide range of scattering problems, so this has given me a good starting point.

Thanks both for getting my thinking back on track.

Cheers.

What is isospin and why is it important in understanding the properties of photons?

Isospin is a concept in particle physics that describes the symmetry between particles with different electric charges but similar properties. It is important in understanding the properties of photons because it helps us classify and organize particles into different groups based on their fundamental properties.

What is the I3 value and how is it related to isospin?

The I3 value is a quantum number that represents the third component of isospin. It is used to describe the orientation of a particle's isospin in a magnetic field. In other words, it tells us the direction in which the particle's spin is pointing.

How can we determine the I3 value of a photon?

The I3 value of a photon can be determined using the concept of helicity. Helicity is a measure of the projection of a particle's spin onto its momentum. For photons, the I3 value is equal to the helicity, which can be measured experimentally.

What are the possible values of I3 for a photon?

The possible values of I3 for a photon are +1 and -1, corresponding to right and left-handed helicity, respectively. This means that a photon can have either clockwise or counterclockwise spin when observed in the direction of its motion.

How does the I3 value of a photon affect its interactions with matter?

The I3 value of a photon does not directly affect its interactions with matter. However, it is related to the photon's polarization, which can affect how the photon interacts with different materials. For example, polarized light can be used to study the structure of materials and their response to external fields.