Isothermal compressibility and spring constant solids

In summary: That would change both A and L.In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the approximate relationship between the spring constant k0 and the compressibility κ of a solid with atoms arranged on a regular cubic lattice. The conversation involves making certain assumptions and using simple reasoning to find a solution, but the resulting answer does not match the expected answer given in the book. The conversation also considers making the calculation more rigorous by taking into account changes in both the area and length of the solid.
PhizKid

Homework Statement

Consider a solid of compressibility ##\kappa##. Assume that the atoms in this solid are arranged on a regular cubic lattice, the distance between their nearest neighbors being ##a##. Assume further that a restoring force ##-k_0 \Delta a## acts on a given atom when it is displaced by a distance ##\Delta a## from its nearest neighbor. Use simple reasoning to find an approximate relation between the spring constant ##k_0## and the compressibility ##\kappa## of this solid.

Homework Equations

##\kappa = \frac{1}{V}\frac{\partial V}{\partial p}|_{T}##.

The Attempt at a Solution

Consider a cubic lattice of ##N+1## atoms on each edge. Take ##N \gg 1## so that ##N+1 \approx N##. The area of any given face of the lattice is ##A = N^2 a^2##. Imagine now that the face is pushed inward by the amount ##\Delta a## where ##\frac{\Delta a}{a} \ll 1##. Then there is an increase in the total force exerted on this face due to the restoring force ##F = -k_0 \Delta a## on each of the ##(N+1)^2## atoms in this face; the increase in total force on this face will be given in magnitude by ##\Delta F = (N+1)^2 \Delta a k_0 \approx N^2 \Delta a k_0##.

Then ##\kappa = \frac{1}{V}\frac{\partial V}{\partial p}|_T = \frac{1}{N a}\frac{\partial a}{\partial p}|_T \approx \frac{1}{a}\frac{\Delta a}{\Delta p} = \frac{1}{a}\frac{N^2 a^2 \Delta a}{N^2 \Delta a k_0} = \frac{a}{N k_0}##.

According to the book the correct answer is ##\kappa = \frac{a}{k_0}## which is not what I got. However I am not sure of how to fix my solution. I could I suppose take a parallelipiped with sides of length ##Na## whose faces are to be pushed inwards, and sides of length ##a## which are parallel to the force applied to push the aforementioned faces inwards. However this looks to be a very contrived escape in fixing my solution on top of the assumptions I already made that make my solution above look quite non-rigorous. For example I took the solid to be a cubic lattice as opposed to any crystal lattice and I also took ##N \gg 1## to make ##(N+1)^2 \approx N^2##, neither of which are assumptions made in the problem statement. Could anyone help me in fixing my solution. Also, could any comment on whether or not I could make the calculation more rigorous? Any hints on how to do so? Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
PhizKid said:
Then ##\kappa = \frac{1}{V}\frac{\partial V}{\partial p}|_T = \frac{1}{N a}\frac{\partial a}{\partial p}|_T ##

Can you explain how you get the second equality here?

TSny said:
Can you explain how you get the second equality here?

##\kappa = \frac{1}{V}\frac{\partial V}{\partial p} = \frac{1}{A L}\frac{A \Delta a}{\Delta p} = \frac{a N^2 \Delta a}{N (N^2 k_0 \Delta a)} = \frac{a}{k_0 N}##

PhizKid said:
##\kappa = \frac{1}{V}\frac{\partial V}{\partial p} = \frac{1}{A L}\frac{A \Delta a}{\Delta p} = \frac{a N^2 \Delta a}{N (N^2 k_0 \Delta a)} = \frac{a}{k_0 N}##

V = AL. When V changes, it appears you are assuming that only L changes and not A. Shouldn't A also change?

That is, how do you get ##\partial V = A \Delta a##?

TSny said:
V = AL. When V changes, it appears you are assuming that only L changes and not A. Shouldn't A also change?

That is, how do you get ##\partial V = A \Delta a##?

In the calculation I was simply pushing one face of the cube inwards by some small amount so the area of the face is the same since the push is normal to the face itself.

I believe the usual definition of compressibility ##\kappa## involves the change in volume when the pressure is increased over the entire surface. So, for a cube, you would consider the change in volume when the pressure is increased on all six faces.

1. What is isothermal compressibility?

Isothermal compressibility is a measure of the relative change in volume of a material when subjected to a change in pressure at a constant temperature. It is denoted by the symbol κ and has units of inverse pressure (Pa^-1).

2. How is isothermal compressibility related to spring constant in solids?

In solids, the isothermal compressibility is related to the spring constant by the formula κ = 1/K, where K is the spring constant. This means that as the spring constant increases, the compressibility decreases, indicating a stiffer material.

3. What is the significance of isothermal compressibility in materials?

Isothermal compressibility is an important property of materials as it helps to characterize their response to external forces. It is particularly useful in studying the behavior of solids under high pressures, such as in industrial processes or geological studies.

4. How is isothermal compressibility measured?

Isothermal compressibility can be measured experimentally by subjecting a sample of material to different pressures while maintaining a constant temperature. The change in volume of the sample can then be measured and used to calculate the compressibility.

5. Can the isothermal compressibility of a material change?

Yes, the isothermal compressibility of a material can change depending on its physical state, temperature, and external conditions such as pressure. For example, some materials may exhibit different compressibility values when in a solid, liquid, or gas state.