Isothermal increase in pressure of solids

In summary, the conversation discusses the expression of work in an isothermal increase of pressure of a solid. The use of the van der Waals equation of state for solids is questioned, as it is typically only valid for real gases. An alternative empirical equation of state is suggested, which can be found in handbooks or tables. The conversation also mentions the difficulty in separating dP and dV in the equation for work, and the suggestion to find an expression for work using the alternative equation of state.
ch1000_man

Homework Statement

How do you express work in an isothermal increase of pressure of a solid in terms of the initial and final pressure?

Homework Equations

van der waals equation

W=Integral of PdV

(P-na/v^2)(v-nb)=nKT

P=pressure
V=volume
n=number of molecules(constant)
T=temperature(constant)

The Attempt at a Solution

d/dV[(P-na/V^2)(V-nb)=nKT]*

The problem here is that dP and dV are very hard to separate so it is hard to substitute dP in W=integral of PdV.

Physics news on Phys.org
(i) Why are you using the Van der waal equation of state for a solid, as it's usually valid only for real gases?

(ii) From my thermodynamics course, one of the empirical equation of states I used for a solid was

[tex]V(p,T) = a +bT +cT^2 - d (p) + e (p T)[/tex]

where a,b,c,d,e are empirical constants depending on the substance.

This is valid for a fairly wide range of T and P. You should be able to find this in a handbook or a table. (or, http://www.ccl.net/cca/documents/dyoung/topics-orig/eq_state.html" )

Last edited by a moderator:
I was really doubtful using the van der waals equation because most of the problems I encountered used this equation and it just so happened that all of them involved gases though I wasn't sure if van der waals was just limited to real gases. I thought it was a general equation. :)

I tried looking for an equation for solids but I just keep finding the van der waals eqn and the ideal gas eqn.

Anyway thanks, I'll try to use this and find an expression of work and I'll post it here.

1. What is an isothermal increase in pressure of solids?

An isothermal increase in pressure of solids refers to a change in pressure that occurs while maintaining a constant temperature. This means that the temperature of the solid remains constant throughout the process, but the pressure applied to the solid increases.

2. How does an isothermal increase in pressure affect the properties of solids?

An isothermal increase in pressure can cause changes in the physical and mechanical properties of solids. It can lead to changes in density, volume, and strength of the solid. These changes can also affect the behavior of the solid under different conditions.

3. What factors can cause an isothermal increase in pressure of solids?

An isothermal increase in pressure can be caused by various factors, such as compression, impact, or application of external forces. It can also occur due to changes in the surrounding environment, such as changes in atmospheric pressure.

4. How is an isothermal increase in pressure of solids measured?

An isothermal increase in pressure of solids is typically measured using a pressure sensor or gauge. This device can accurately measure the pressure exerted on the solid and display it in units such as Pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

5. What are the practical applications of studying isothermal increase in pressure of solids?

Studying isothermal increase in pressure of solids is important in various fields, such as material science, geology, and engineering. It can help in understanding the behavior of materials under different conditions and aid in the design and development of structures that can withstand high pressures.