Issue with Fourier Series of an even function.

In summary, the conversation discusses obtaining the Fourier series of a full-wave rectified 3f sinusoid signal with a frequency of 50Hz. The blue signal in the attached equations has a frequency of 50Hz and the values of n need to be even and multiples of 3 to accurately represent the a.c. part of the signal. The conversation also questions why the values of n cannot be any positive number and why it cannot be less than 3. The individual also explains that by '3f', they mean '3 multiplied by f' which in this case is 150Hz.
darkfeffy
Hi,
I wish to obtain the Fourier series of the signal in red (please see attached figure fig1_sine_plots.png). Basically, it is a full-wave rectified 3f sinusoid, where f = 50Hz. The blue signal represents a sinusoid with frequency f = 50Hz.
In the following equations (please see attached figure fig2_equations.png), “T” represents the period of the signal in blue and w0 is the angular frequency of the signal in blue.

One can only arrive at the correct representation of the a.c. (alternating current) part of the signal if the values of n are even and multiples of 3 (i.e. n = 6, 12, 18, etc.). Well, to be technically accurate, it suffices for n to be a multiple of 3, because the odd multiples will each have an amplitude of 0.

So, I have a problem at this point. I have most probably forgotten some of the theory behind the Fourier Series, but can someone explain why the values of n need to multiples of 3? According to the equations above (please see attachment fig2_equations), there is no restriction as to the different positive values that n can have. Why can’t n = 4? Or n = 5? Or n = 8? Also, why can’t n be less than 3?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• fig1_sine_plots.png
    fig1_sine_plots.png
    5 KB · Views: 482
  • fig2_equations.png
    fig2_equations.png
    9.4 KB · Views: 471
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I'm no expert myself but, off the top of my head, I would guess it has something to do with the fact that you are dealing with a "full-wave rectified 3f sinusoid". What does the "3" in "3f" mean?

Explanation of '3f'

By '3f', I mean '3 multiplied by f'. In other words 150Hz. If a 150Hz sinusoidal signal is rectified (i.e. absolute value of sin(3wt)), then it will look like the red signal in my first attachment. Sorry for this confusion.

1. What is a Fourier Series?

A Fourier Series is a mathematical representation of a function as a sum of sine and cosine waves. It is used to analyze and understand periodic functions.

2. What is an even function?

An even function is a mathematical function that is symmetric about the y-axis. This means that if you reflect the graph of the function across the y-axis, it will look exactly the same.

3. Why is there an issue with the Fourier Series of an even function?

The issue with the Fourier Series of an even function is that it contains only cosine terms and no sine terms. This can make it difficult to accurately represent the function, especially if the function has sharp or discontinuous points.

4. How can the issue with the Fourier Series of an even function be resolved?

The issue can be resolved by using a different type of Fourier Series called the Half-Range Fourier Series, which includes both cosine and sine terms. This allows for a more accurate representation of the even function.

5. What are some applications of Fourier Series?

Fourier Series has many applications in science and engineering, such as signal processing, image and sound compression, and solving differential equations. It is also used in fields like physics, chemistry, and biology to analyze and understand periodic phenomena.