Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

It is Inauguration Day!

1. Jan 19, 2009 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Woooohoooo!!! It is 12AM in Washington D.C. and in exactly 12 hours, Obama will be the new President!

It is still hard for me to imagine that this day is possible. I just hope for everyone's sake that all goes well and there are no incidents.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2009 #2

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A moments silence please for the careers of so many satirists that have now been destroyed....

4. Jan 20, 2009 #3
    I'm going to celebrate by staying inside most of the day and avoiding all of the invaders to the town!

(I live in the DC area)

5. Jan 20, 2009 #4
    I'm heading on the redline metro in a few hours (2 am here, 4 am metro opens)

6. Jan 20, 2009 #5

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

Obama Carries Weight of Economic Trauma, Wars Into Inauguration
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/bloomberg/20090120/pl_bloomberg/adngxzoyjxoe

I'm looking forward to Tuesday afternoon.

7. Jan 20, 2009 #6
    I'm generally a cynic when it comes to politics and politicians and even I can't help but feel "goosebumpy" about this guy. I sincerely hope that he will be everything you Americans (and indeed the rest of the world) have hoped for.

A powerful country and a powerful economy is driven not by one man, but by a nation. Where Obama perhaps has the potential to become a great man, the very fact that he was elected reflects on the mindset and attitude of the American nation.

I believe that that is where the true power for progress lies: when a nation decides to do something new and different. That to me is the real beauty of the situation and Obama (until he's proven himself) is merely the embodiment of this phenomenal achievement.

I'll definitely be watching the inauguration. :smile:

8. Jan 20, 2009 #7
    May I ask
    What is hard to believe ? Seriously :smile:

9. Jan 20, 2009 #8

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Enjoy the celebrations!

10. Jan 20, 2009 #9
    Watching obama's inauguration on CNN-facebook. works quite well.
    You dont see Obama much, it's more like a "men in black" parade as of yet.

When Obama left church some spectator yelled out - really loud and repeatedly
    "Don't kill the baby". Still wonder what he ment by that. Any ideas?

11. Jan 20, 2009 #10

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I assume he isn't as anti-abortion as some of his co-religionists would like?

12. Jan 20, 2009 #11
    Of course, how stupid of me, I totally forgot that the abortion subject still is a hot topic
    in the US.

13. Jan 20, 2009 #12

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We have elected someone who is probably the most talented and intelligent President that I have ever seen. After the 2004 election, I had lost all hope for this country.

Do you have any idea what betting odds you would have been given in 2004 that the next President would be a black man named Hussein?

14. Jan 20, 2009 #13

turbo

Gold Member

Ivan is right. It's as if the US had adopted the Monty Python tag-line "and now for something completely different."

I have watched racial animosities ease over the decades, but even I was surprised and pleased that Obama managed to pull off a win. I hope he can make substantial progress against some of the challenges we face.

15. Jan 20, 2009 #14

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

... not to mention that even many black people, including young blacks, have stated that they did not think a black man would be President in their lifetimes. For that reason alone, this is a historic event. The birth defect of America has finally been corrected.

16. Jan 20, 2009 #15

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For those who don't know, the original version of the US Constitution defined a black man to be 3/5 of a person.

17. Jan 20, 2009 #16
    Your passion towards this person is quite remarkable. But take care if something unexpected happens.

18. Jan 20, 2009 #17

mgb_phys

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Only for the purpose of calculating election districts.
    There was a similair problem with Scotland in 1600 - it had a lot of people but contributed very little tax revenue so they 'adjusted' the number of people. The civil service is still looking into the problem!

Do you think a black man was more/less likely than a white woman? Could Hillary have won it?

19. Jan 20, 2009 #18

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I believe she could have, but the country would not be as united as it is now. The feeling of unity is really amazing...all but the most stubborn right wingers are excited about this day.

20. Jan 20, 2009 #19

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, since they were only slaves, they didn't count as much as a "real person".

If it wasn't for the phenomenon Obama, we would probably be inaugurating Hillary today.

21. Jan 20, 2009 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Some hard lefties are unhappy as well. If both extremes are unhappy, we are on the right track.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?