It is Inauguration Day!

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
In spite of the fact that he has not officially been inaugurated, it is noon in DC, so Obama is now the President.

The nightmare has finally ended.

Cheney is gone!!!!
no no... it'll simply abandon its current body and attach itself to a new host.

We have elected someone who is probably the most talented and intelligent President that I have ever seen. After the 2004 election, I had lost all hope for this country.
To me, this is an historical day for this reason ! I consider giving up my citizenship to become american (really).
Do you have any idea what betting odds you would have been given in 2004 that the next President would be a black man named Hussein?
No, I have not the slightest clue, and only by reading here to I begin to realize. But I truly hope he is not just the first black president. I hope he is the last one. I hope from now one, the candidate will not be blue or green, man or woman, tall or short, fat or skinny, chess or go players, cheese or ice cream lovers... I hope people will think about candidates in terms of ideas and projects only.

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Thats hopefully the real point.
When JFK was campaigning there was an equal amount of debate/worry/amazement that a catholic could be elected - now nobody even remembers or would understand why thats an issue. Hopefully in 20 years the same thing will apply to a black president.

Of course then there will, one day, be the hope of a Linux rather than Windows mobile using president.

Yes, since they were only slaves, they didn't count as much as a "real person".
'Free' person. Indians counted for nothing at all. You shouldn't get the idea that a slave's vote was worth less than a free person's vote. Slaves didn't vote at all. Rather, slave states were only allowed to claim 3/5 of a person per slave for apportionment of representatives. In this way, the political power of slave states was reduced.

Evo
Mentor
This is cool, my company is providing a special link to the live broadcast for us to watch.

turbo
Gold Member
Obama's speech is a real barn-burner. Loving it.

misgfool
Obama's speech is a real barn-burner. Loving it.
The speech was impressive.

Some hard lefties are unhappy as well. If both extremes are unhappy, we are on the right track.
Well-said Ivan.

LowlyPion
Homework Helper
Like Dorothy boarded the hot air balloon, Bush boards Executive 1 - no longer called Marine 1 - and heads off into history.

Only this twist on the plot sees the witch return to Texas, freeing the Munchkins to rejoice.

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Congratulations on your new leader. I went home early from work to catch the speech, but I was left sitting in the dark due to a power-outage :frown:

fuzzyfelt
Gold Member
Congratulations on your new president.

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Congratulations people of America! I watched most of the afternoon's coverage, and I have to say Obama's speech did not disappoint! I was, however, a little surprised at the number of people booing Bush when he was introduced at the beginning. I thought it was very un-American to boo your president!

yes I was rather disappointed at the booing. A little ironic too because it is exactly the sort of behavior that Obama opposes.

Congratulations people of America! I watched most of the afternoon's coverage, and I have to say Obama's speech did not disappoint! I was, however, a little surprised at the number of people booing Bush when he was introduced at the beginning. I thought it was very un-American to boo your president!
Lucky it wasn't in Philadelphia. They booed Santa.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Congratulations people of America!
Thank you. It is a day for celebration!

I was, however, a little surprised at the number of people booing Bush when he was introduced at the beginning. I thought it was very un-American to boo your president!
While I actually agree in this particular context, I don't think you realize how much he is hated. I personally have never accepted him as my President, nor has my wife. But that is over now.

Last edited:
I’m hopeful for the next coming years, this doesn’t only affecting American people, the whole world is interacting to this candidate like never before, hope the best for you Americans …

o:)42

LowlyPion
Homework Helper
The booing did show a certain lack of grace, but I can't really blame them all that much.

Bush should not be confused into thinking that people were there to see him off and wave good-bye. (He should more advisedly be thankful they were separated from him by enough distance to discourage more shoe throwing.)

The country survived him, now it's time to come out of our shelters and assess the damage and get to rebuilding after the passing of Hurricane George.

The sun is out again.

cristo
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
While I actually agree in this particular context, I don't think you realize how much he is hated.
I absolutely do! But regardless, it's not who he is, it's what he represents in the office that he holds. It reminds me of a quote from a random war film "Salute the rank, solider!"

But that is over now.
Indeed it is. Now let's look to the future!

While I actually agree in this particular context, I don't think you realize how much he is hated. I personally have never accepted him as my President, nor has my wife. But that is over now.
first of all I don't really hate him. I think he is a puppet, a frontman for other people's interests... I kind of feel sorry for the guy, to be honest.

and even if he weren't, I still don't think booing was appropriate. to me, the day we move forward as a society (as human beings, not Americans, which I am not) is the day we stop reacting violently to intellectual disagreements.

In this Obama was very clear and is one of the things that I like about him: while he disagrees on almost everything with Bush and others like him, and will fight many of the ideas they stand for, he will respect them as people and will not belittle them. This is how he ran his campaign, and it will be grand if this is how he runs his presidency, and if this spirit affects people towards that way of thinking.

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
To me, this is an historical day for this reason ! I consider giving up my citizenship to become american (really)
Come on over! IIRC, I owe you a beer.

No, I have not the slightest clue, and only by reading here to I begin to realize.
Damned near any odds that you like.

I consider giving up my citizenship to become american (really).
You and millions of others. You'll be welcomed by millions more, once and future countrymen. But don't forget, Obama only gets eight years as President at most. You won't be marrying him, you'll be marrying us. We choose all kinds of Presidents and they may not all be to your taste. Will you still love us if they aren't?

Come on over! IIRC, I owe you a beer.
The way I remember it, it was a box of belgium chocolates :tongue2:
Will you still love us if they aren't?
By now, I have realized that French can choose way worse presidents than Americans !

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The way I remember it, it was a box of belgium chocolates :tongue2:
A Frenchman who asks for Belgium chocolates?!?!?! Isn't there a French law against that? But now that you mention it, these happen to be the only chocolates that we ever order.
http://www.nirvanachocolates.com/

Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
There are reports that Ted Kennedy has collapsed at a luncheon.