Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

It's snowing in Central Europe

1. Mar 4, 2006 #1
    It's snowing in Central Europe.

When I looked outside yesterday morning I had thought associations with the federation of snowmen who held a protest march last month against global warming because of it's heavy toll on their well being and numbers.

This is what I saw, a disapearing swing.

[​IMG]

That was yesterday. Right now I see this:

[​IMG]

Roads are closed. Chaos is slowly emerging. I have no idea where to pile more snow to get the car out.

And it's still snowing.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2006 #2
    hmm where are you? I know Romania (transalvania) had heavy snow, has it spread?

Here in belgium we had bit of snow, but it melts away quick :)

4. Mar 4, 2006 #3
    I'm here:
    [​IMG]

but on an elevation of 950 meters.

5. Mar 4, 2006 #4
    Crazy, my friend from Germany was telling me about it a few minutes ago... O.O

A lot of snow O__O

6. Mar 4, 2006 #5
    Its beautiful! Hope you went out and played it in a bit.

7. Mar 5, 2006 #6

Mk

Ugh, those pictures remind me of my four years in Michigan. Too much snow!!

8. Mar 5, 2006 #7

loseyourname

Staff Emeritus
    Gold Member

I wish it would snow here sometimes. All it's done is rain like a bastard for two and a half months. At least snow isn't wet, and I'm not driving anywhere besides.

9. Mar 5, 2006 #8

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That strikes me as being difficult!

10. Mar 5, 2006 #9

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

As long as you have enough food stocked up, I prefer when the snow comes in a big blizzard like that...nobody expects you to dig out too quickly, so you can just sit inside watching it and enjoying the view with some hot cocoa, and know you can take at least 3 days off work until the roads begin to be cleared enough to go anywhere. When I lived in MI, the part of the state I lived in got snow nearly daily, but only a little bit at a time, so it just meant having to drive super-slow and having to get up an extra half hour earlier every morning to have time to scrape the ice and snow off the car, but was never enough to give you an excuse to stay home or even sleep in an extra hour. Once we had a bigger storm, and then it was nice to just curl up inside and enjoy looking out the window at everything just glistening.

11. Mar 5, 2006 #10
    Well, this is how it looks today.

[​IMG]

Antother two feet or so and trying to dig out again. I guess that's a form of playing. As roads are already clear (they are used to it here on the mountain), there is no excuse to stay home tomorrow.

12. Mar 5, 2006 #11

Lisa!

Gold Member

How beautiful!
    I wish I was there! :cool:

13. Mar 5, 2006 #12
    Yes It's a bit of winter wonderland isn't it.

Okay, one more, view in the other direction from the second floor one hour ago:

[​IMG]

14. Mar 6, 2006 #13
    Thanks for photos Andre, its made your town look like a wedding cake! Snows expected here today too, but not of that magnitude.
    And no Hurkyl, its not hard to play in the snow, one just needs to be willing to play in it.

15. Mar 6, 2006 #14

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I was suggesting that the "going out" bit might be the tough one... with 6 feet of snow sitting in front of your door and all. :tongue:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?