Ive to work out the uncertainties for youngs modulus.would i take

In summary, the uncertainty for Young's Modulus can be calculated by taking the standard deviation of experimental data and dividing it by the square root of the number of data points. This allows for the determination of the accuracy and precision of the results, as well as identification of potential sources of error. It should be noted, however, that the method for calculating uncertainties may differ depending on the type of material being tested and there are limitations to this approach. To minimize uncertainties, it is important to carefully control and eliminate sources of error in the experiment.
jokiemay
Ive to work out the uncertainties for youngs modulus.

would i take all 4 measurements and mutliply then divide by 4 ?

would 1.788m have an uncertain if +/- 0.01 ?

how would i get the uncertainties from 5.73x10-3

im very confused and my tutor isn't helpful at all.

Physics news on Phys.org

Basicly my stress and strain are

A = 5.73 x 10-3
L = 1.788m
F = 8.829 kg m s-1
e = 6.36cm or 6.36x10-1m

youngs modulus is 6.02x10(10) Pa
ive to find the % uncertainty in the Young Modulus value

1. How do I calculate the uncertainties for Young's Modulus?

The uncertainty for Young's Modulus can be calculated by taking the standard deviation of your experimental data and dividing it by the square root of the number of data points. This will give you the standard error, which represents the uncertainty of your measurement.

2. What is the significance of finding the uncertainties for Young's Modulus?

Calculating the uncertainties for Young's Modulus allows you to determine the accuracy and precision of your experimental results. It also helps you to identify any potential sources of error in your measurement.

3. Would I use the same method for calculating uncertainties for all types of materials?

No, the method for calculating uncertainties for Young's Modulus may differ depending on the type of material being tested. For example, for non-linear materials, a different approach may be needed to account for the non-linear behavior.

4. How can I minimize uncertainties when measuring Young's Modulus?

To minimize uncertainties when measuring Young's Modulus, it is important to carefully control and eliminate any sources of error in your experiment. This can include using precise and calibrated instruments, conducting multiple trials, and controlling external factors such as temperature and humidity.

5. Are there any limitations to calculating uncertainties for Young's Modulus?

Yes, there are certain limitations to calculating uncertainties for Young's Modulus. This method assumes that the experimental data follows a normal distribution, and any deviations from this can affect the accuracy of the uncertainties. Additionally, uncertainties can only be calculated for measurable quantities, so if the experimental data is too small or too large, uncertainties may not be able to be determined.