1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Jensen's inequality and a question concerning e.

1. Oct 2, 2006 #1
    1) find the least value a such that (1+1/x)^(x+a)>e
    for all positive x.
    2) let a,b be two positive numbers, p and q any nonzero numbers p<q.
    prove that [ta^p+(1-t)b^p]^1/p<=[ta^q+(1-t)b^q]^1/q.(0<t<1)

for the first question im given the hint that [1+1/x]^x+1 decreases monotonically and [1+1/x]^x increases monotonically to the limit e at infinity, so basically we have here a function of a that as a increases the function decreases monotonically, so i need to take the derivative of the rhs and find for a between 0 and 1, which is the least value of a.
    the problem is that derivative that i got wrt a is:
    (1+1/x)^(x+a)*ln(1+1/x) and i need to equate this to 0 because x>0 ln(1+1/x)>0 and thus this derivative is greater than zero for all a.
    so im stuck here.

for the second question i thought to take the derivative of the function [ta^n+(1-t)b^n]^s when s is the variable and aftwerwards when the variable is n, i got that those two functions increase monotonically, i tried to put into n and s p and q, and i got 4 inequalities, i thought from these four i could conclude the required inequality but didnt succeed.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 2, 2006 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

You can tell if the function approaches e from above or below by seeing if the derivative approaches 0 from above or below. If it approaches zero from above, the function must be less than e for sufficiently large x, so you can exclude the corresponding values of a. If it's from below, you still need to verify that the function never crosses e and then comes back up.

4. Oct 3, 2006 #3
    what about jensen's inequality?

5. Oct 3, 2006 #4

StatusX

Homework Helper

Use the convexity of x^(q/p).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?