Jet Throw Distance Calculation

• Thread starter Parkie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jet
In summary, the individual is an engineer seeking help in calculating the distance a jet of water will travel in water from a given orifice size, flow rate, and pressure. They have a basic understanding of the differences in viscosity between air and water and have searched for information on nozzles and the behavior of real fluids. They also mention a specific temperature and corresponding kinematic viscosity.
Parkie
Good Evening all

Ok confesions first I am an engineer not a physicist. However i have a problem i hope you can help with.

How do you calculated the distance water will travel from a jet on the horazontal through water itself.

I know i have a jet oriface of 4mm, i have 53.33 litres per minute passing through this jet at a pressure of 148.01barg. hence i have a velocity of 70.731m/s^2. So how how do i calculate the distance the jet of water will go? the jet is in a tank of water so its not like a jet of water through air.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Parkie

Physics news on Phys.org
cheers dude, if we say its pass through water at 50 deg then we know that has a kinematic viscosity of 0.553 m^2/s x 10^-6

Related to Jet Throw Distance Calculation

What is jet throw distance calculation?

Jet throw distance calculation is a scientific process used to determine the distance that a jet of fluid will travel when expelled from a nozzle or orifice. This calculation takes into account factors such as fluid velocity, nozzle size, and air resistance to accurately predict the distance the fluid will travel.

Why is jet throw distance calculation important?

Jet throw distance calculation is important because it allows scientists and engineers to design and optimize fluid systems for various applications. It is particularly useful in industries such as aerospace, firefighting, and agriculture where the distance a fluid can travel is critical to its effectiveness.

How is jet throw distance calculated?

Jet throw distance is calculated using the Bernoulli's equation, which takes into account the fluid density, velocity, and pressure at the nozzle. It also incorporates the effects of air resistance and gravity on the fluid. This equation can be solved using various methods, such as hand calculations or computer simulations.

What factors affect jet throw distance?

The jet throw distance is affected by several factors, including the fluid velocity, nozzle size, fluid density, air resistance, and gravity. Increasing any of these factors will result in a longer jet throw distance, while decreasing them will result in a shorter distance. Additionally, the shape and design of the nozzle can also impact the jet throw distance.

How accurate is jet throw distance calculation?

The accuracy of jet throw distance calculation depends on the precision and accuracy of the input parameters and assumptions made in the calculation. In ideal conditions, the calculation can be quite accurate. However, in real-world scenarios, factors such as turbulence, surface roughness, and other unpredictable variables can affect the accuracy of the calculation. Therefore, it is important to validate the calculation results with experimental data whenever possible.