Finding International Jobs to Applying and Interviewing for Jobs Abroad

• Engineering
  • Thread starter EngWiPy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Jobs Outside
In summary, it can be difficult to find a job outside of the country you currently reside in. Depending on the job, the employer, and the country, there may be agencies or deals that help people find work in other countries. The costs of travel and relocation may be paid by the company in some cases. However, it is important to research visa regulations and the demand for your skills in the desired country. In this specific case, it may be more beneficial to stay in Canada and continue searching for a job from within, rather than going back to the home country and applying from there. Employers in Canada may have a strong preference for candidates who are already resident in the country. It may also be worth considering applying for positions in the US
EngWiPy
Hello,

How easy is it to get a job outside the country in which you currently reside? I mean, so far I got responses only from the city where I live regarding my job applications, although I've applied to job positions all over the country. I even haven't gotten any response from any other province so far (I live in Canada). I wonder how would it be if it's a different country, not just a different province. How do they interview you when you live remotely from the job's location? Are personal interviews mandatory at the end? and who will pay the travel expenses in that case?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends on the job, the employer, and the country - I live in NZ, there are agencies that help people from NZ find work in the UK for eg. and there are deals with a variety of countries allowing work visas where those countries specifically want the skills involved.
Everything else was up for grabs.

I have been head-hunted for work in the USA for example - in that case, the costs of travel and relocating were to be paid by the company.
I had a mate who was paid to travel to the US every summer to work as a software engineer ... until he got turned back one year by the FBI.
A big firm may interview you in a local office for an overseas position.
It really depends - there are no rules for how they do it.
Generally, though, if a firm can fill a position locally they are usually required, by local visa regulations, to do so.
If you want to do the work, try finding a country where your particular skills are in short supply and look into who's hiring there.

Thanks. I'll be more precise. I'm an immigrant to Canada, but I couldn't find a job so far as I'm finishing my current position soon. I've been searching for a job for a couple of months now, and from the responses I (don't) get, I'm not very optimistic. I guess I was very lucky to secure my first position. So, I was thinking to go to my home country (the costs of living there is much less), and apply to jobs in Canada from there. But I'm afraid being outside Canada would reduce my chances of being called to interviews.

What I'm trying to say is that I have two options:
  • Stay in Canada and try to find a job from within Canada: this option means I have some expenses to pay monthly (which is a fair amount; rent+Internet+phone+electricity+living expenses ... etc), while finding a job isn't guaranteed when to happen, if any. I'm afraid to run out of money and spend all my savings while waiting/hoping to find a new position.
  • Go to my home country and apply to jobs from outside Canada: this option means that I have much less expenses to pay, but I'm afraid this would make my chances even less probable to get a job in Canada than if I stayed in Canada.
Note: I've been working in the academia, but I'm trying to make a transition to the industry, so I have no or little experience.

Last edited:
I see ... then you will need to know what Canada govt rules about importing workers is like.
It sounds like the market for your skills is better in Canada than back home - so maybe you should take a look at how native Canadians handle the situation you are in.
Whichever way - you need to talk to Canadians.

Likes EngWiPy
S_David said:
Thanks. I'll be more precise. I'm an immigrant to Canada, but I couldn't find a job so far as I'm finishing my current position soon. I've been searching for a job for a couple of months now, and from the responses I (don't) get, I'm not very optimistic. I guess I was very lucky to secure my first position. So, I was thinking to go to my home country (the costs of living there is much less), and apply to jobs in Canada from there. But I'm afraid being outside Canada would reduce my chances of being called to interviews.

What I'm trying to say is that I have two options:
  • Stay in Canada and try to find a job from within Canada: this option means I have some expenses to pay monthly (which is a fair amount; rent+Internet+phone+electricity+living expenses ... etc), while finding a job isn't guaranteed when to happen, if any. I'm afraid to run out of money and spend all my savings while waiting/hoping to find a new position.
  • Go to my home country and apply to jobs from outside Canada: this option means that I have much less expenses to pay, but I'm afraid this would make my chances even less probable to get a job in Canada than if I stayed in Canada.
Note: I've been working in the academia, but I'm trying to make a transition to the industry, so I have no or little experience.

My response would be to stay in Canada and try to find a job from within. Going back to your home country would make you far less competitive when seeking work here as employers have a strong preference for those who are resident in Canada.

While I don't have the statistics available, from what people have told me, it can take up to 6 months for a new graduate to find permanent employment. Given that you've only been searching for a couple of months, my suggestion would be to keep at it applying for companies in Canada (focusing on employers in Ontario or Alberta, as those provinces probably have what you are looking for).

I would also strongly suggest you apply for positions in the US, since there is a greater demand for engineers there than in Canada (although this advice will depend on if you're a citizen of Canada, in which case it would be relatively easy to get one of the special visas open to Canadian citizens).

Thanks. I'm actually a permanent resident, not a citizen yet, that's why I haven't applied outside Canada. The problem is that I'm not even a new graduate. New graduates at least still have the theory fresh in their minds. I've spent about two years in the academia (related to my advanced degree) and now I'm applying to another field in the industry (related to my undergraduate degree). Probably I will stay for a couple more months and see what happens.

S_David said:
Thanks. I'm actually a permanent resident, not a citizen yet, that's why I haven't applied outside Canada. The problem is that I'm not even a new graduate. New graduates at least still have the theory fresh in their minds. I've spent about two years in the academia (related to my advanced degree) and now I'm applying to another field in the industry (related to my undergraduate degree). Probably I will stay for a couple more months and see what happens.

BTW, if you don't mind my asking, what country are you originally from? And do you have any intention about applying for Canadian citizenship?

PM me if you don't feel comfortable responding in the thread.

Last edited:

Related to Finding International Jobs to Applying and Interviewing for Jobs Abroad

1. What are the benefits of working outside the country?

There are many potential benefits of working outside the country, including gaining valuable international experience, learning new skills, and expanding your professional network. Working abroad can also offer the opportunity to immerse yourself in a new culture and gain a global perspective.

2. What are the challenges of working outside the country?

Working outside the country can come with its own set of challenges, such as adjusting to a new culture and language, navigating work visa requirements, and being away from family and friends. It may also require a significant amount of planning and preparation.

3. How can I find job opportunities outside the country?

There are many ways to find job opportunities outside the country, including networking, searching job boards and company websites, and utilizing recruitment agencies. It can also be helpful to research the job market and demand for your skills in different countries.

4. What qualifications or skills are typically required for jobs outside the country?

The qualifications and skills required for jobs outside the country can vary depending on the location and industry. Generally, employers are looking for candidates with a strong educational background, relevant work experience, cultural adaptability, and language proficiency. It may also be beneficial to have a specific skill set that is in demand in the country you are applying to.

5. What are some tips for succeeding in a job outside the country?

To succeed in a job outside the country, it's important to be open-minded, adaptable, and culturally aware. It can also be helpful to learn the language and customs of the country you will be working in, build relationships with colleagues and local professionals, and maintain a positive attitude. It's also important to stay organized and communicate effectively with your employer and any necessary contacts back home.