Joining an engineering grad school after a major in physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of pursuing a graduate engineering program with a physics background. The individual is wondering if they can switch to fields like aerospace or mechanical engineering, and it is mentioned that most programs require an undergraduate degree in engineering. However, there are a few programs that may accept a physics degree with additional pre-requisite courses. Some programs even view a physics background as preferable to an electrical engineering background.
lookatthesky
hello,
This is going to be my first post on pf, even though I have been following the insightful topics for a long time.I have majored in physics and after that I have decided to follow a grad course and do something where I can apply my knowledge of physics and get a good job after it.

can someone list all the courses I can look forward to? Also, is it possible to switch to fields like areospace engg. or mechanical engg.?

Physics news on Phys.org
Most graduate engineering programs require an undergraduate degree in engineering. However there are a few that might accept you with the additional requirement to take some undergraduate engineering courses as pre-requisites.

timsea81 said:
Most graduate engineering programs require an undergraduate degree in engineering. However there are a few that might accept you with the additional requirement to take some undergraduate engineering courses as pre-requisites.

Like Timesea81 said, where I went to school you can get in with a physics degree no problem, but you would have to take a few additional courses. Some programs, such as UC Santa Barbara in the US, consider a physics background superior to an EE background.

1. What is the difference between studying physics and engineering?

Physics is a broad discipline that focuses on understanding the fundamental laws and principles that govern the natural world. Engineering, on the other hand, is more applied and focuses on using scientific knowledge to design and create solutions to real-world problems.

2. Will my major in physics prepare me for graduate studies in engineering?

While a major in physics may provide a strong foundation in mathematics and problem-solving skills, it may not cover all the necessary engineering concepts. It is important to research the specific requirements of the engineering graduate program you are interested in to determine if you have the necessary background.

3. Can I switch from physics to engineering for my graduate studies?

Yes, it is possible to switch from a major in physics to engineering for graduate studies. However, you may need to take some prerequisite courses to gain a solid foundation in engineering before starting your graduate studies.

4. Are there any specific engineering fields that are easier for physics majors to transition into?

Physics majors may find it easier to transition into fields such as mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, or computer science as these fields have a strong foundation in physics principles.

5. What skills from my physics major will be valuable in engineering graduate school?

Skills such as problem-solving, critical thinking, and mathematical modeling are highly valued in engineering graduate programs. Additionally, your strong background in physics principles and understanding of scientific methods will also be beneficial.