Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Joint and conditional distributions

1. Nov 7, 2006 #1
    I'm having a problem evaluating a distribution-

Suppose X and Y are Chi-square random variables, and a is some
    constant greater than 0. X and Y are independent, but not identically distributed (they have different DOFs).
    I want to find

P(X>a,X-Y>0). So I use Bayes' theorem to write

=P(X>a | X-Y > 0)*P(X-Y>0)
    =P(X>a| X>Y)*P(X>Y)

Now I have an expression for P(X>a) and P(X>Y), but I am at a
    loss as to how to evaluate the conditional distribution P(X>a|

I figured out that if Y was a constant (rather than a random variable), then I could write

P(X>a| X>Y) = { 1 if Y>a
    { P(X>a)/P(X>Y) if Y<a

But this does not help evalaute the distribution because I requires knowledge of the value of random variable Y.

Any help will be much appreciated.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2006
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Why are you going through the conditional probability formula?

(X>a, X>Y) if and only if (X > max{a,Y}) or (X - max{a,Y} > 0). Just an observation.
  4. Nov 8, 2006 #3
    Thanks, that is a good observation. So now I know that

P(X>a,X>Y) = P(X>max(a,Y)). I would like to express this as some function of P(X>a) and P(X>Y) . That is, I know that

P(X>a,X>Y) = [ P(X>a) if a>Y
    [ P(X>Y) if a<Y

but I only know a, not Y (since Y is an RV). So, in other words, is there a way to determine the 'threshold' at which P(X>a,X>Y) changes from P(X>a) to P(X>Y)?
  5. Nov 9, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

BTW, is this homework? If it is, this is not the place to post it.

There is no set threshold because -- as you posted -- Y is a r.v. By implication so is max{a,Y}. I am guessing that the cdf of max{a,Y} would be some linear combination of CDF(Y|Y>a) and the mass point Y=a (representing all the occurances of Y<a). Even after obtaining CDF(max{a,Y}) you still need to figure out the CDF of the related r.v. (X - max{a,Y}).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?