1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Joint density function

1. May 16, 2010 #1
    I have a region R = {(x,y): |x| + |y| <= 1}
    I have sketched the graph on the x-y plane and shaded in the region R (I got a diamond).
    How do I find the area of R and hence find the joint density function f(x,y) and how do I specify the region for which f(x,y) is non-zero.

2. jcsd
  3. May 16, 2010 #2

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

A diamond is 4 triangles: Area(R) = 4 times the area of one triangle.

Are x and y random variables?

4. May 16, 2010 #3
    They are just random points chosen uniformly on the region

5. May 17, 2010 #4
    So the area is 0.5 x 4 = 2, how does that relate to finding the joint density function.
    So f(x,y) = 2 for -1 < x < 1 and -1 < y < 1, 0 otherwise

Last edited: May 17, 2010
  6. May 17, 2010 #5
    No. Wouldn't it be f(x,y) = x + y for 0 < x < 1 and 0 < y < 1 and 0 otherwise
    because when I do the double integral, the integral equals 1 which it should.

7. May 17, 2010 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You said your region is R = {(x,y): |x| + |y| <= 1}. That is not the same as you are describing as -1 < x < 1 and -1 < y < 1. And a uniform distribution gives a constant density, not a variable like x + y. You need to have f(x,y) be a constant value on R such that the integral of f(x,y) over R is 1.

8. May 17, 2010 #7
    f(x,y) = 1/2 for 0 < x < 1 - |x|, but I don't know the limits of y.

9. May 17, 2010 #8

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. Can't x be negative?

Didn't you say you had drawn a picture of your region R and it was diamond shaped?

Use the description of R itself to say where f = 1/2.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook