1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Joint density problem.

1. Feb 7, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I have:

[tex]f_A=\lambda e^{-\lambda a}[/tex]
    [tex]f_B=\mu e^{-\mu b}[/tex]

([itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex] are independent)

I need to find the density of [itex]C=\min(A,B)[/itex]

2. The attempt at a solution
    [tex]f_C(c)=f_A(c)+f_B(c)-f_A(c)F_B(c)-F_B(c)f_A(c)[/tex]
    [tex]=\lambda e^{-\lambda c}+\mu e^{-\mu c}-\lambda e^{-\lambda c}(1-e^{-\mu c})-(1-e^{-\lambda c})\mu e^{-\mu c}[/tex]
    [tex]=\lambda e^{-\lambda c}e^{-\mu c}+\mu e^{-\lambda c}e^{-\mu c}[/tex]
    [tex]=2(\lambda+\mu)e^{-c(\lambda+\mu)}[/tex]

Correct or utterly wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 7, 2012 #2

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Some blunders (probably just typos), but answer is right: your first line should have been
    [tex]f_C(c)=f_A(c)+f_B(c)-f_A(c)F_B(c)-F_A(c)f_B(c),[/tex]
    which is what your later lines computed. However, you are doing it the hard way: much easier is to say [tex] \Pr \{\min(A,B) > c \} = \Pr \{ A > c \mbox{ and } B > c \}
    = \Pr \{A > c \} \cdot \Pr \{ B > c \}. [/tex]

RGV

4. Feb 8, 2012 #3
    [tex]=(1-F_A(c)) \cdot (1-F_B(c))=(1-(1-e^{-\lambda c})) \cdot (1-(1-e^{-\mu c}))=e^{-c(\lambda+\mu)}[/tex]
    [tex]\Rightarrow\frac{d}{dc}e^{-c(\lambda+\mu)}=-(\lambda+\mu)e^{-c(\lambda+\mu)}[/tex]

Although my first answer should have been: [tex](\lambda+\mu)e^{-c(\lambda+\mu)}[/tex]

Which is correct?

Last edited: Feb 8, 2012
  5. Feb 8, 2012 #4

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your first *answer* was incorrect, but your method was correct up to the second-last line; in my original response, I messed the factor of 2, so should not have said it was correct. Basically, to get your last line you said a+b = 2(a+b), so you made a blunder.

The result [itex] \min(A,B) \leftrightarrow (\lambda+\mu) e^{-(\lambda + \mu)t} [/itex] is correct. It is one of the absolutely standard properties of the exponential. Since the second way of getting it is correct, step-by-step, it cannot fail to be correct; you just need more confidence when making true statements, but you also need to be careful when doing algebraic manipulations.

RGV

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook