Joint Probability density function

In summary, the conversation is about finding the joint pdf of W=XY and Z=Y/X given a joint pdf of pxy(x,y)=(1/4)^2 exp[-1/2 (|x| + |y|)] for x and y between minus and plus infinity. The individual is trying to use the Jacobian, but is unsure if it can be used because of the absolute value. They have attempted to solve the problem, but are not making progress. They have also posted the same question in multiple threads.
marina87
A joint pdf is given as pxy(x,y)=(1/4)^2 exp[-1/2 (|x| + |y|)] for x and y between minus and plus infinity.

Find the joint pdf W=XY and Z=Y/X.

f(w,z)=∫∫f(x,y)=∫∫(1/4)^2*e^(-(|x|+|y|)/2)dxdy -∞<x,y<∞
Someone told me I can not use Jacobian because of the absolute value. Is that true?
So far this is what I have but I feel like I am not going anywhere.

f(w,z)=(1/4)^2∫∫e^(-(|x|+|y|)/2)dxdy
=(1/4)^2∫∫[e^-|x|/2]*e^-|y|/2]
=(1/4)^2∫[e^-|x|/2]∫e^-|y|/2]

=(1/4)^2[∫[e^(-x/2)+∫e^(x/2))] * [∫[e^(-y/2)+∫e^(y/2))] the limits from -∞<x,y<0 and 0<x,y<∞

=[(1/4)^2 ]*4*[ ∫ [e^(x/2)dx] + ∫ [e^(y/2)dy] ] 0<x,y<∞

Physics news on Phys.org
marina87 said:
∫∫f(x,y)=1, or it would not be a pdf.
You can use the Jacobian, provided you consider it separately in each quadrant (so that the |x| and |y| can be resolved).

marina87 said:
A joint pdf is given as pxy(x,y)=(1/4)^2 exp[-1/2 (|x| + |y|)] for x and y between minus and plus infinity.

Find the joint pdf W=XY and Z=Y/X.

Someone told me I can not use Jacobian because of the absolute value. Is that true?
So far this is what I have but I feel like I am not going anywhere.

f(w,z)=(1/4)^2∫∫e^(-(|x|+|y|)/2)dxdy
=(1/4)^2∫∫[e^-|x|/2]*e^-|y|/2]
=(1/4)^2∫[e^-|x|/2]∫e^-|y|/2]

=(1/4)^2[∫[e^(-x/2)+∫e^(x/2))] * [∫[e^(-y/2)+∫e^(y/2))] the limits from -∞<x,y<0 and 0<x,y<∞

=[(1/4)^2 ]*4*[ ∫ [e^(x/2)dx] + ∫ [e^(y/2)dy] ] 0<x,y<∞

Why did you post this same question in two different threads and ignore the response in your first thread?

I want to change the title and didn't find a way to do it. i want to use a more appropriate title.

What is a joint probability density function?

A joint probability density function is a mathematical function that describes the simultaneous behavior of two or more random variables. It provides information about the likelihood of different outcomes occurring for each variable together.

How is a joint probability density function different from a regular probability density function?

A regular probability density function describes the behavior of a single random variable, while a joint probability density function describes the behavior of multiple random variables simultaneously. It can also be thought of as a multidimensional version of a regular probability density function.

What is the purpose of using a joint probability density function?

The main purpose of using a joint probability density function is to model the relationship between two or more random variables. It can help to understand how these variables are related and what the likelihood is of certain outcomes occurring together.

How is a joint probability density function calculated?

A joint probability density function is calculated by taking the partial derivatives of a multivariate probability distribution function. It can also be calculated by multiplying the probability density functions of each individual variable.

What are the assumptions made when using a joint probability density function?

The main assumptions made when using a joint probability density function are that the variables are independent and identically distributed. This means that the behavior of one variable does not affect the behavior of the other, and that the same probability distribution applies to all variables.