Joule-Thomson Coeff. For Air at High dP

• Thread starter Tom C
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Air
In summary, the conversation is about studying compressed air flow through a valve at a high pressure differential of 3000psig to atmosphere. The air can be either saturated at 3000 psig or dried to a dew point of -10 deg F. The purpose is to calculate the temperature of the air stream at the valve exit, assuming the flow is isenthalpic. The equation used is µ = (dT/dP) at constant enthalpy. However, tabulations of µ for air at various high and low pressures have not been found. Suggestions for an online source or alternative method, such as using enthalpy tables, are welcomed. A potential source for this information is the REFPROP program, but it is expensive and does
Tom C
I am studying compressed air flow through a valve at a high pressure differential (3000psig to atmosphere). The air will be saturated at 3000 psig and in other circumstances it will be dried to a dew point of -10 deg F.

My purpose is to calculate the temperature of the air stream at the valve exit and will assume the flow is isenthalpic. The simple equation I would prefer to start with is :
µ = (dT/dP) at constant enthalpy

However, I have not been able to find tabulations of µ for air at at various high and low pressure. Can anyone refer an on-line source for this information?

I suppose an alternative method would be to use enthalpy tables, but can't find enthalpy tables for air at the high pressure condition either.

Suggestions and alternate ideas for solution are gladly received.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Tom C said:
I am studying compressed air flow through a valve at a high pressure differential (3000psig to atmosphere). The air will be saturated at 3000 psig and in other circumstances it will be dried to a dew point of -10 deg F.

My purpose is to calculate the temperature of the air stream at the valve exit and will assume the flow is isenthalpic. The simple equation I would prefer to start with is :
µ = (dT/dP) at constant enthalpy

However, I have not been able to find tabulations of µ for air at at various high and low pressure. Can anyone refer an on-line source for this information?

I suppose an alternative method would be to use enthalpy tables, but can't find enthalpy tables for air at the high pressure condition either.

Suggestions and alternate ideas for solution are gladly received.
Thanks

Hi Tom,

Welcome to PF.

Have a look here:

http://webbook.nist.gov/chemistry/fluid/

Hope this helps.

CS

Thankyou for the quick reply Stewart.
Unfortunately for me, the "species" pulldown list does not include air.
Still searching the net though.

Tom C said:

Sorry I thought they would surely have air listed! They do on their desktop version of that program (REFPROP 8.0).

CS

EDIT:

What range of pressure/temp are you looking for?

Tom C said:

I ran a range for you using their program. See the attached spreadsheet with the table. It has the J-T coefficient and the Enthalpy.

Hope it helps.

CS

Attachments

• JT_Air.zip
    26.6 KB · Views: 467
Hey Stewart!
Thats great and helps me with a good start.
I just looked at the cost of the REFPROP program, wow! expensive.

Does REFPROP have a feature to adjust moisture content of air? from saturated conditions to % saturated before it reports the properties? I see you made the run based on -10 deg F, but the -10 deg F was not intended as designating actual temperature, it is a way to express the relative dryness of the air (i.e., that is an alternate way of expressing "grains of moisture" or "% of saturation").

I would guess that the JT coeff will vary with % of saturation.

Tom C said:
Hey Stewart!
Thats great and helps me with a good start.
I just looked at the cost of the REFPROP program, wow! expensive.

Does REFPROP have a feature to adjust moisture content of air? from saturated conditions to % saturated before it reports the properties? I see you made the run based on -10 deg F, but the -10 deg F was not intended as designating actual temperature, it is a way to express the relative dryness of the air (i.e., that is an alternate way of expressing "grains of moisture" or "% of saturation").

I would guess that the JT coeff will vary with % of saturation.

No, it does not have a feature to adjust the moisture content of the air.

I'm not entirely certain of how (if at all) the quality of the air affects the J-T coefficient.

CS

What is the Joule-Thomson coefficient for air at high dP?

The Joule-Thomson coefficient for air at high dP is a measure of how the temperature of air changes when it undergoes a pressure change at constant enthalpy.

What is the formula for calculating the Joule-Thomson coefficient?

The formula for calculating the Joule-Thomson coefficient is μ = (∂T/∂P)H, where μ is the coefficient, T is the temperature, P is the pressure, and H is the enthalpy.

How does the Joule-Thomson coefficient vary with pressure for air?

The Joule-Thomson coefficient for air at high dP is positive at low pressures, indicating that the temperature increases with increasing pressure. However, at high pressures, the coefficient becomes negative, meaning that the temperature decreases with increasing pressure.

What is the significance of the Joule-Thomson coefficient for air at high dP?

The Joule-Thomson coefficient for air at high dP is important in understanding the thermodynamic properties of air and its behavior under different pressure conditions. It is also used in various industrial processes such as cryogenics and air conditioning.

How is the Joule-Thomson coefficient experimentally determined for air at high dP?

The Joule-Thomson coefficient for air at high dP can be experimentally determined by measuring the temperature change of air when it is subjected to a pressure change at constant enthalpy. The resulting data can then be used to calculate the coefficient using the formula μ = (∂T/∂P)H.