1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Junction diode - unequally doped sides

1. Jul 15, 2012 #1
    Why does the depletion layer penetrate a lightly doped side of a p-n junction diode?? Consider that there is a lightly doped p-side and a heavily doped n-side in a p-n junction diode , which is connected to a dc power supply in reversed biased. Now, i've read that depletion layer penetrates the p-side in this case. But i could not figure out the reason behind it. So, Can u please explain me the mechanism involved in terms of the movement of electrons in the circuit.
    Im in a faulty assumption that the side in which the diode is more heavily doped is bound to be penetrated more by the depletion layer..
    (-I've completed my intermediate)

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 15, 2012 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The sum of electrons and holes stays constant (the whole thing does not get a significant net charge). If the hole density is larger, the volume with holes is smaller, and vice versa.

4. Jul 16, 2012 #3
    ok,, but i dint get the answer to my question!

5. Jul 17, 2012 #4

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

In this case, I don't understand the question. You have depletion at both sides as electrons from one side move into the holes at the other side, unless your diode is in a conducting mode.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook