Junction diode - unequally doped sides

In summary, the depletion layer in a p-n junction diode penetrates the lightly doped p-side due to the movement of electrons and holes. This is because the hole density on the p-side is larger, resulting in a smaller volume of holes and allowing the depletion layer to penetrate. This process occurs when the diode is connected to a dc power supply in reversed bias.
hitcool007
Why does the depletion layer penetrate a lightly doped side of a p-n junction diode?? Consider that there is a lightly doped p-side and a heavily doped n-side in a p-n junction diode , which is connected to a dc power supply in reversed biased. Now, I've read that depletion layer penetrates the p-side in this case. But i could not figure out the reason behind it. So, Can u please explain me the mechanism involved in terms of the movement of electrons in the circuit.
Im in a faulty assumption that the side in which the diode is more heavily doped is bound to be penetrated more by the depletion layer..
(-I've completed my intermediate)

Physics news on Phys.org
The sum of electrons and holes stays constant (the whole thing does not get a significant net charge). If the hole density is larger, the volume with holes is smaller, and vice versa.

ok,, but i dint get the answer to my question!

In this case, I don't understand the question. You have depletion at both sides as electrons from one side move into the holes at the other side, unless your diode is in a conducting mode.

The depletion layer in a p-n junction diode is formed due to the diffusion of charge carriers (electrons and holes) from the heavily doped side to the lightly doped side. In a p-n junction diode, the p-side is doped with a higher concentration of holes, while the n-side is doped with a higher concentration of electrons.

When the diode is connected to a DC power supply in reverse bias, the positive terminal of the power supply is connected to the n-side of the diode, while the negative terminal is connected to the p-side. This creates an electric field that opposes the diffusion of charge carriers.

As a result, the holes in the p-side are attracted to the negative terminal, while the electrons in the n-side are attracted to the positive terminal. This further depletes the charge carriers in the depletion layer, creating a wider and deeper depletion layer on the p-side.

Therefore, the depletion layer penetrates the p-side more than the n-side because of the higher concentration of holes and the stronger electric field created by the reverse bias. This mechanism is crucial in allowing the diode to function as a one-way valve for current flow, which is essential for its applications in electronic circuits.

Related to Junction diode - unequally doped sides

What is a junction diode with unequally doped sides?

A junction diode with unequally doped sides is a type of diode where one side of the junction is doped with a higher concentration of impurities than the other side. This results in an asymmetrical distribution of charge carriers, leading to specific electrical properties.

What is the purpose of having unequally doped sides in a junction diode?

The unequal doping in a junction diode allows for the creation of a depletion region, an area with no free charge carriers, which is crucial for the diode's functioning. It also affects the diode's electrical characteristics, such as the forward and reverse bias behavior.

What is the difference between a junction diode with equally doped sides and unequally doped sides?

A junction diode with equally doped sides has a symmetrical distribution of charge carriers, resulting in a smaller depletion region and weaker electrical properties compared to an unequally doped diode. The unequal doping creates a larger depletion region and stronger electrical properties.

How does the unequal doping affect the electrical properties of a junction diode?

The unequal doping in a junction diode results in a larger depletion region, lower reverse breakdown voltage, and higher forward current. It also affects the diode's capacitance, resistance, and switching speed.

What are some common applications of junction diodes with unequally doped sides?

Junction diodes with unequally doped sides are commonly used in rectifiers, voltage regulators, and oscillators. They are also essential components in electronic devices such as TVs, computers, and power supplies.