Just a quicky (Schrodinger's equation)

In summary, the conversation is discussing a question where the task is to show that the probability per unit length of finding a particle is independent of space and time and is just a constant. The conversation delves into the mathematics and interpretations of quantum mechanics, with a focus on the concept of modulus and its relationship to probability density. The conversation also touches on the solution of the time-independent Schrodinger equation and the corresponding time-dependent solution, as well as the energy and momentum of a free particle. The summary notes that understanding complex analysis is essential for understanding quantum mechanics.
DanAbnormal

Homework Statement

Currently I am doing a question where its asked me to show that the probability per unit length of finding a particle is independent of space and time, and is just a constant.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The plane wave state I've been given to solve is:

[tex]\psi(x) = exp(ikx)[/tex]

I separated the variables of the SE and got a formula for [tex]\Psi(x,t) = \psi(x)exp(-iEt/hbar)[/tex]

Assume lowercase psi here is constant, i can't be bothered to write it out :P

Obviously the probability per unit length is the square of the modulus of this function.

For some reason it shows in my notes that when you do this, the exponential part of the wavefunction dissapears when you do the square of the modulus, so you are just left with the square of the modulus of psi.

Now that would leave me with the answer, as I've already worked out psi is a constant independent of x, but I can't figure out why the exponential part dissapears. Is it just some basic maths that I am not getting here?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well for one, you already know [tex] \psi [/tex]isn't constant from the fact that you already have [tex]\psi (x) = e^{ikx} [/tex]. The reason the exponential with the energy goes away is when you take the conjugate of [tex]\Psi [/tex], you take the conjugate of [tex] \psi [/tex] along with the conjugate of [tex]e^{-iEt/\hbar } [/tex] which will eliminate the time evolution term.

DanAbnormal said:
... show that the probability per unit length of finding a particle is independent of space and time, ...

The plane wave state I've been given to solve is:

[tex]\psi(x) = exp(ikx)[/tex]
What do you mean, "solve". In what sense is the plane wave state unsolved?

DanAbnormal said:
I separated the variables of the SE and got a formula for [tex]\Psi(x,t) = \psi(x)exp(-iEt/hbar)[/tex]
I presume that the potential term in your SE is constant?

DanAbnormal said:
Obviously the probability per unit length is the square of the modulus of this function.
Please explain why that is obvious. That is nothing more than an interpretation of nonrelativistic QM, and it follows from nothing. There are in fact QM interpretations in which this is not true.

DanAbnormal said:
For some reason it shows in my notes that when you do this, the exponential part of the wavefunction dissapears when you do the square of the modulus, so you are just left with the square of the modulus of psi.
This is a rather round about way of saying ... something ... but I did not quite follow. I think what you are trying to say is that the modulus of a complex number is independent of its phase.

DanAbnormal said:
... psi is a constant independent of x, ...
No, it's not! What are you talking about?

DanAbnormal said:
Is it just some basic maths that I am not getting here?
Indeed: complex analysis. Do you know what a complex number is?

turin said:
What do you mean, "solve". In what sense is the plane wave state unsolved?

Oh sorry, the question asks me to show that [tex]\psi(x) = exp(ikx)[/tex] is a solution of the time-independent schrodinger equation.

turin said:
I presume that the potential term in your SE is constant?
The potential is zero, yes. So I get the equation for Psi as:

[tex]\Psi(x,t) = \exp(ikx).exp(-iEt/\hbar)[/tex]

From the separation of variables stuff.

turin said:
Please explain why that is obvious. That is nothing more than an interpretation of nonrelativistic QM, and it follows from nothing. There are in fact QM interpretations in which this is not true.

Well yeah ok, its not obvious on that sort of scope, I am just doing an exam paper here.
The question asks me to work out the energy in terms of k, having shown that [tex]\psi(x) = exp(ikx)[/tex] is a solution to the TISE.
By mistake I've assumed this energy, which is constant, was the same value as [tex]\psi(x)[/tex]. This is obviously wrong which I've realized.
The energy I worked out was

[tex]E = \frac{\hbar^{2}k^{2}}{2m}[/tex]

I shouldn't have said "obvious", but the probability per unit length is [tex]|\Psi(x,t)|^{2}[/tex], is it not?

turin said:
This is a rather round about way of saying ... something ... but I did not quite follow. I think what you are trying to say is that the modulus of a complex number is independent of its phase.
Well I don't know, i'll show you exactly what I am talking about:

[tex]|\Psi(x,t)|^{2} = |exp(-iEt/\hbar)|^{2}.|\psi(x)|^{2}
= |\psi(x)|^{2}[/tex]

I didnt understand why this was so.

turin said:
No, it's not! What are you talking about?
Yeah this follows on from my previous mistake, assuming that smal phi was the energy constant above.
The question says: "What is the corresponding time-dependent solution,
[tex]\Psi(x,t)[/tex]?
Show that the probability per unit length of finding a particle is constant (independent of both space and time)."

This, I assume is where the above workings come into place, basically showing that
[tex]|\Psi(x,t)|^{2}[/tex] is constant. Is this right?

turin said:
Indeed: complex analysis. Do you know what a complex number is?
Yes of course, but I am unfamiliar with what's going on with this modulus business.
Where I am confused now is that how can the probability per unit length be constant if these complex terms are dissapearing? Wouldnt [tex]|\psi(x)|^{2}[/tex] disappear also? And even if it didnt how can it be independent of space?
Can you explain to me or link me to somewhere which explains this:

[tex]|\Psi(x,t)|^{2} = |exp(-iEt/\hbar)|^{2}.|\psi(x)|^{2}
= |\psi(x)|^{2}[/tex]

DanAbnormal said:
I shouldn't have said "obvious", but the probability per unit length is [tex]|\Psi(x,t)|^{2}[/tex], is it not?
Actually, no. If that were true, then what would you get for the total probability of finding the particle in a length L, where L here is an arbitrary length? (Please calculate this and report back.)

The squared modulus is usually interpretted as proportional to probability density, and, when properly normalized, it is equal to probability density. Based on the result of the previous excercise, what normalization constant should you divide by in order to interpret the squared modulus of a free particle wave function as a probability density?

DanAbnormal said:
|exp(-iEt/\hbar)|^{2}.|\psi(x)|^{2}= |\psi(x)|^{2}[/tex]

I didnt understand why this was so.
... I am unfamiliar with what's going on with this modulus business.
You cannot understand ordinary QM without understanding this.

DanAbnormal said:
Where I am confused now is that how can the probability per unit length be constant if these complex terms are dissapearing?
Complex terms are not disappearing; imaginary terms are cancelling.

DanAbnormal said:
Can you explain to me or link me to somewhere which explains this:

[tex]|\Psi(x,t)|^{2} = |exp(-iEt/\hbar)|^{2}.|\psi(x)|^{2} = |\psi(x)|^{2}[/tex]
Do you understand that |e| = 1 , where φ is any arbitrary real number? Look up Euler's identity.

What is Schrodinger's equation?

Schrodinger's equation is a mathematical equation that describes how quantum systems evolve over time. It was developed by Austrian physicist Erwin Schrodinger in 1926 and is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics.

What does Schrodinger's equation represent?

Schrodinger's equation represents the wave function of a quantum system, which describes the probability of finding a particle in a certain location. It allows us to make predictions about the behavior of quantum systems and has been successfully used to explain a wide range of phenomena in the microscopic world.

Why is Schrodinger's equation important?

Schrodinger's equation is important because it provides a mathematical framework for understanding the behavior of particles at the quantum level. It has been used to make accurate predictions about the behavior of subatomic particles and has played a crucial role in the development of technologies such as transistors, lasers, and MRI machines.

How is Schrodinger's equation used in practical applications?

Schrodinger's equation is used in many practical applications, such as quantum computing, nuclear physics, and materials science. It is also used in chemistry to predict the properties of molecules and in engineering to model the behavior of materials at the atomic level.

What are the limitations of Schrodinger's equation?

Schrodinger's equation is limited in its application to non-relativistic systems, meaning it cannot accurately describe particles moving at speeds close to the speed of light. It also does not take into account the effects of gravity, and it cannot be used to simultaneously describe the position and momentum of a particle. It is also unable to explain certain phenomena, such as quantum tunneling and quantum entanglement, which require more advanced equations.