Just how spherical is a neutron star?

In summary, an article stated that experiments have shown that an electron is the most spherical object in the universe. However, when comparing it to neutron stars, which have extreme dimensions and conditions, it is uncertain how their symmetry would compare. Research has been done in this field and it has been found that neutron stars have a limit on their rotational speed before they start emitting gravitational waves. The crust of a neutron star is extremely strong, but the magnetic field can cause it to shear. It is also uncertain how an electron, which is thought to be point-like, can be described as spherical. A neutron star is likely to be very spherical due to its extremely strong matter.
Vincent Neave
I recently read an article that said that experiments in synchotrons had indicated that an electron was the most spherical object in the universe. It stated that if an electron were the same diameter as the solar system, the variation in its diameter would be less than the thickness of a human hair.

However, whilst I was thinking about neutron stars in general, and pulsars in particular, it struck me that with the extreme dimensions and conditions involved, 1.3 - 2 times the solar mass compacted into an 20 mile diameter star, spinning at up to 712 revolutions per second, surely, if there even the slightest amount of asymmetry, the forces involved would simply cause it to tear itself asunder.

Does anyone know if there has been any research in this field and, if there has, how would the symmetry of a millisecond pulsar compare to that of an electron?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
2 solar masses packed into 20 miles diameter, spinning at 100/sec, would have a diameter at the equator that is almost 1% more than at the poles.

In addition, a Neutron Star has "mountains" ≤ 1 inch high.

Vincent Neave said:
I recently read an article that said that experiments in synchotrons had indicated that an electron was the most spherical object in the universe. It stated that if an electron were the same diameter as the solar system, the variation in its diameter would be less than the thickness of a human hair.

However, whilst I was thinking about neutron stars in general, and pulsars in particular, it struck me that with the extreme dimensions and conditions involved, 1.3 - 2 times the solar mass compacted into an 20 mile diameter star, spinning at up to 712 revolutions per second, surely, if there even the slightest amount of asymmetry, the forces involved would simply cause it to tear itself asunder.

Does anyone know if there has been any research in this field and, if there has, how would the symmetry of a millisecond pulsar compare to that of an electron?

Yes, there is research in this area. In a neutron star the highest mountain is on the order of millimeters. Anything larger than that and energy is radiated in the form of gravitational waves.

Millisecond pulsars are quite oblate. The limit on their rotational speed is when the spheroid begins to become ovoid, again resulting in gravitational waves.

Neutron stars have such strong gravity that tearing apart under rotational stress is not really a possibility. The crust is over a billion times stronger than steel and 1km thick. Nevertheless the accumulated twist of the magnetic field grows so great that the crust shears and ruptures, leading to the most energetic events observed in this galaxy.

I've been told that electrons are point-like. They have no known radius, so I don't know how they could be spherical.

Thanks chaps, most enlightening.

An article about the spherical nature of electrons can be found Here

From the linked article above:

In this case, we're actually talking about the "shape" of the electron's interactions with electric fields rather than whether it's a non-spatial point particle or a tiny vibrating string.

A neutron star is probably very spherical. It is composed of matter with a calculated Young's modulus about 20 orders of magnitude greater than any known material. I recall once reading the equivalent of mount everest on a neutron star would be about a millimeter high.

e^(i Pi)+1=0 said:
In addition, a Neutron Star has "mountains" ≤ 1 inch high.

I'm shocked that neutron stars can even have "mountains" greater than a few nanometers.

1. What is a neutron star?

A neutron star is a celestial object that forms after a massive star goes supernova, leaving behind a dense core composed almost entirely of neutrons. They are extremely small and compact, with a diameter of only about 20 kilometers.

2. How spherical is a neutron star?

The shape of a neutron star is believed to be almost perfectly spherical, with a slight bulge at the equator due to its rapid rotation. However, there is some debate among scientists about the exact level of spherical symmetry of neutron stars.

3. How is the spherical shape of a neutron star measured?

The spherical shape of a neutron star can be measured through observations using telescopes and other instruments that detect the X-rays and radio waves emitted by the star. By analyzing the intensity and patterns of these emissions, scientists can determine the shape and size of the neutron star.

4. Are all neutron stars perfect spheres?

While most neutron stars are believed to be very close to perfect spheres, there are some exceptions. For example, neutron stars that are rapidly rotating or have strong magnetic fields may have a more oblong or distorted shape.

5. Why is it important to understand the spherical shape of neutron stars?

Studying the shape of neutron stars can provide valuable insights into their internal structure, composition, and evolution. It can also help scientists better understand the fundamental forces and laws of physics that govern these extreme objects. Additionally, the shape of neutron stars can have implications for other astronomical phenomena, such as gravitational waves and the behavior of matter under extreme conditions.