Does the concept of annihilation explain the existence of our universe?

• Thread starter Darken-Sol
  • Start date
In summary: If the universe had been made of mostly anti-matter instead of mostly normal matter, we would still be here, just made of anti-matter instead of matter.In summary, the conversation discusses the concepts of annihilation and the Big Bang theory. The speaker is trying to reconcile their understanding of physics with their philosophical beliefs, and seeks clarification on the process of annihilation and its connection to the creation of the universe. They also wonder about the possibility of matter and anti-matter coexisting and how it relates to our existence. The conversation concludes with a brief summary of the Big Bang theory and the potential for a universe made of anti-matter instead of matter.
Darken-Sol
i'm new to phyics and trying to fit it into my head. i just learned of annhilation. as far as i understand everything we observe exists as a result of non-annhilation. a lot of my ideas, at this point, are philosophical. i was hoping to get some info to confirm or deny some of these thoughts. the problem is i am also studying the Tao, and many other things, and they seem to color my thought processes both ways.

Space news on Phys.org

Darken-Sol said:
i'm new to phyics and trying to fit it into my head. i just learned of annhilation. as far as i understand everything we observe exists as a result of non-annhilation. a lot of my ideas, at this point, are philosophical. i was hoping to get some info to confirm or deny some of these thoughts. the problem is i am also studying the Tao, and many other things, and they seem to color my thought processes both ways.
Annihilation is a process by which a particle combines with its anti-particle to produce other, lower-mass particles. Eventually, if you have a precisely one anti-particle for every particle, and the temperature is low enough, all of the particles will eventually find a corresponding anti-particle, eventually producing nothing but radiation.

The fact that we have matter still around means that early on, an imbalance between normal matter and anti-matter was created, so that there was ever so slightly more normal matter than anti-matter. When all of the anti-matter found corresponding particles to annihilate with, a tiny bit of normal matter was left behind. And here we are.

Chalnoth said:
When all of the anti-matter found corresponding particles to annihilate with, a tiny bit of normal matter was left behind. And here we are.

like musical chairs?

Darken-Sol said:
like musical chairs?
Um, I guess, sort of.

so if the non-annhilation is us, then is it presumable that we are expanding into the annhilation? forgive me for over simplifying, i don't have all the terms down. i understand if no one wants to explain such simple stuff. could some one atleast give me a push in the right direction? i tried google. i usually end up here or wiki though.

Darken-Sol said:
so if the non-annhilation is us, then is it presumable that we are expanding into the annhilation?
No. We aren't expanding into anything. That's just not how General Relativity works. Basically, the expansion is just average distances between objects getting larger with time.

Darken-Sol said:
forgive me for over simplifying, i don't have all the terms down. i understand if no one wants to explain such simple stuff. could some one atleast give me a push in the right direction? i tried google. i usually end up here or wiki though.
This might be a good place to start:
http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/astronomy/bigbang.html

It's primarily about the evidence, but is a pretty good description of the big bang theory itself.

Do I have this correct? The annihilation comes when the universe gets cold and big enough. After annihilation there could be anti-matter or matter left over and it just so happened to be matter this time and that is why we are here?

Smock said:
Do I have this correct? The annihilation comes when the universe gets cold and big enough. After annihilation there could be anti-matter or matter left over and it just so happened to be matter this time and that is why we are here?
Sort of. Annihilation actually happens all the time whenever you have both matter and anti-matter sitting around. It's just that when the universe is so hot that the typical energy of a particle is comparable to its mass-energy, new particle/anti-particle pairs are created in collisions as often as they annihilate.

Once the universe cools sufficiently, new particle/anti-particle pairs stop being created, and the annihilation runs away until there's nothing left to annihilate.

But yes, it could have been either way.

Related to Does the concept of annihilation explain the existence of our universe?

What is annihilation?

Annihilation refers to the complete destruction or obliteration of something.

What are some examples of annihilation in science?

In science, annihilation can refer to the collision of a particle and its antiparticle, resulting in the release of energy. It can also refer to the destruction of matter and antimatter, or the complete elimination of a species or population in a particular area.

How does annihilation occur?

Annihilation can occur through various processes, such as particle-antiparticle collisions, nuclear reactions, or natural disasters. It can also be intentionally induced through technological means, such as nuclear weapons.

What are the potential consequences of annihilation?

The consequences of annihilation can vary depending on the context. In science, annihilation can result in the release of energy or the creation of new particles. In other contexts, such as war or natural disasters, annihilation can result in loss of life, destruction of property, and long-term environmental impacts.

How can we prevent or mitigate the effects of annihilation?

In the context of science and technology, safety protocols and regulations are in place to prevent the accidental or intentional annihilation of particles or matter. In terms of natural disasters or conflicts, disaster preparedness and peace-building efforts can help mitigate the effects of potential annihilation. Additionally, promoting understanding and cooperation among different groups can also help prevent annihilation in various forms.