Exploring a Universe with One Point Charge

In summary: As @Dale says. This is a "tree falls in the forest" situation. Does it make a sound?It doesn't matter. Pick whichever answer yields a simpler theory.In summary, there is no evidence to support the idea that universes with just one point charge exist, and any claims made about such a universe would not be scientific.
Altair Tans
What if there is a universe with just one point charge in existence....just a charge with vast emptiness around it....now here all laws of physics remain same...

But is the concept of field and energy defined there??

Physics news on Phys.org
Altair Tans said:
What if there is a universe with just one point charge in existence....just a charge with vast emptiness around it
Who cares about such a universe? It isn’t this one and we don’t have access to it to test any claims about it. Any statements you might make about it are not scientific.

Altair Tans said:
now here all laws of physics remain same...

But is the concept of field and energy defined there?
If all laws of physics are the same then clearly fields and energy are defined.

By the way, the excessive use of periods is obnoxious. If your keyboard is sticky then clean it, otherwise just stop.

Last edited:
Altair Tans said:
What if there is a universe with just one point charge in existence....just a charge with vast emptiness around it....now here all laws of physics remain same...

But is the concept of field and energy defined there??
Hi, there are actually plenty of problems I had to do regarding this in my electromagnetism class. If you look at calculations involving Gaussian surfaces as well as coulomb'a law it should answer your question.

Dale said:
If all laws of physics are the same then clearly fields and energy are defined.
Aren't fields defined in terms of forces acting on a test charge, and how is that possible if there are no other charges?

Likes Altair Tans
greypilgrim said:
Aren't fields defined in terms of forces acting on a test charge, and how is that possible if there are no other charges?
In vacuum there are no charges, but there are fields. Your definition is a little wrong.

Dale said:
In vacuum there are no charges, but there are fields. Your definition is a little wrong.
What are fields there for then?

Altair Tans said:
I am speaking in the sense that like if there's just one object in an empty universe its motion is not defined. Its moving or at rest is not defined as long as there's no frame to refer with.
Similarly i believe without something to act upon the concept of force , field of force and energy associated with the force are all invalid.

Am i wrong somewhere?

Altair Tans said:
What do you think? What things are associated with the fields that might cause problems if they didn’t exist in vacuum?

Altair Tans said:
I am speaking in the sense that like if there's just one object in an empty universe its motion is not defined. Its moving or at rest is not defined as long as there's no frame to refer with.
Similarly i believe without something to act upon the concept of force , field of force and energy associated with the force are all invalid.

Am i wrong somewhere?
You stipulated a one-charge universe where all laws of physics remain the same as ours. There is a charge so by Gauss’ law there is a field

Ok so there is a field, there is energy associated with it, but these quantities don't get a chance to be in use.

Is my understanding correct sir?

Altair Tans said:
Ok so there is a field, there is energy associated with it, but these quantities don't get a chance to be in use.

Is my understanding correct sir?
How can we possibly know if your understanding of single charge universes is correct? I have no evidence to contradict your claims and you have no evidence to support them. There is no possibility to use the scientific method to answer such questions.

Last edited:
Dale said:
How can we possibly know if your understanding of single charge universes is correct? I have no evidence to contradict your claims and you have no evidence to support them. There is no possibility to use the scientific method to answer such questions.
As @Dale says. This is a "tree falls in the forest" situation. Does it make a sound? It doesn't matter. Pick whichever answer yields a simpler theory.

1. What is a universe with one point charge?

A universe with one point charge is a theoretical model used in physics to study the behavior of a single electric charge in an infinite, three-dimensional space. It is a simplified version of our own universe, where all other charges and objects are assumed to be nonexistent or negligible.

2. How is a universe with one point charge relevant to real-world physics?

While this model may seem simplistic, it allows scientists to study the fundamental principles of electric charges and their interactions without the complexity of other external forces. This can help us better understand and predict the behavior of electrically charged particles in our own universe.

3. What are some key principles that can be explored in a universe with one point charge?

Some key principles that can be explored in this model include Coulomb's Law, the electric field, and the electric potential. Scientists can also study the movement and trajectories of charged particles in this simplified universe.

4. How is a universe with one point charge different from our own universe?

In our universe, there are a multitude of different charges and objects that can interact with each other through electric forces. In a universe with one point charge, all other charges and objects are assumed to not exist, allowing for a simpler and more focused study of the behavior of a single charge.

5. What are the potential applications of studying a universe with one point charge?

Studying this model can help scientists develop a deeper understanding of electric charges and their interactions, which can have practical applications in fields such as electronics, energy, and materials science. It can also lead to further advancements in our understanding of the universe and its fundamental laws.