Just wondering what the latest descriptions of space were.

• Thread starter bill alsept
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Space
In summary: From wikipedia: Space is the boundless, three-dimensional extent in which objects and events occur and have relative position and direction.[1] Physical space is often conceived in three linear dimensions, although modern physicists usually consider it, with time, to be part of a boundless four-dimensional continuum known as spacetime. In mathematics,"spaces" are examined with different numbers of dimensions and with different underlying structures. The concept of space is considered to be of fundamental importance to an understanding of the physical universe. However, disagreement continues between philosophers over whether it is itself an entity, a relationship between entities, or part of a conceptual framework.From a physicist's perspective, space is a four-dimensional continuum. It is not just three
bill alsept
Just wondering what the latest descriptions of space were. How would you say modern day physics describes it? Does it move or flow? Is it more like a fabric or Matrix? If it moves does it just stretch and bend. I realize no one knows for sure but wanted to know what you guys here at P.F. think are the best definitions of space are or even the worst.

Space news on Phys.org

Space. That which we put our coordinate systems in.

bill alsept said:
Just wondering what the latest descriptions of space were. How would you say modern day physics describes it? Does it move or flow? Is it more like a fabric or Matrix? If it moves does it just stretch and bend. I realize no one knows for sure but wanted to know what you guys here at P.F. think are the best definitions of space are or even the worst.

Space is best thought of a one part of spacetime. The term "fabric" is widely used but should be avoided as it leads to silly misconceptions.

Are there no better descriptions of space? Are there any new ideas at all? A hundred years ago there seemed to be much more discussion and books about space and gravity. I lived my whole life thinking these things had been answered only to find out no one really had a clue. I find this more exciting than disappointing but was wondering why there are no new hypothesis being offered.

bill alsept said:
Are there no better descriptions of space? Are there any new ideas at all? A hundred years ago there seemed to be much more discussion and books about space and gravity. I lived my whole life thinking these things had been answered only to find out no one really had a clue. I find this more exciting than disappointing but was wondering why there are no new hypothesis being offered.

Yeah, it's both exciting and frustrating that we don't have a better understanding than we do of a lot of things.

I like Roger Penrose's (I think it was) definition of space and time: Time is what keeps everything from happening all at once and space it what keeps if from all happening to me.

bill alsept said:

Space is considered to be part of spacetime in accordance with the theory of General Relativity, which has to date been verified by every experiment designed to test it. We simply haven't gotten any new hypothesis that explain it better than GR does.

I'm just surprised that science has accepted answers like these for so long. How does anyone know what spacetime is if they don't know what space is? And in what way does GR explain it? In either case none of the questions in post #1 are answered.

bill alsept said:
I'm just surprised that science has accepted answers like these for so long. How does anyone know what spacetime is if they don't know what space is? And in what way does GR explain it? In either case none of the questions in post #1 are answered.

bill alsept said:

From wikipedia: Space is the boundless, three-dimensional extent in which objects and events occur and have relative position and direction.[1] Physical space is often conceived in three linear dimensions, although modern physicists usually consider it, with time, to be part of a boundless four-dimensional continuum known as spacetime. In mathematics,"spaces" are examined with different numbers of dimensions and with different underlying structures. The concept of space is considered to be of fundamental importance to an understanding of the physical universe. However, disagreement continues between philosophers over whether it is itself an entity, a relationship between entities, or part of a conceptual framework.

There is no consensus as to what space is. General Relativity describes gravity as the result of the geometry of spacetime itself. By that I mean that if we track the movement of an object, such as a test particle, through spacetime from one point to another it will behave as though spacetime has certain geometric features, such as being curved in certain ways. Note that we CANNOT observe "space itself", only how objects interact within space. Space is not a "fabric", it does not stretch, bend, move, or flow as far as I understand it.

1. What is the latest description of space?

The latest description of space is that it is a vast and mostly empty expanse, filled with galaxies, stars, planets, and other celestial objects. It is also believed to be expanding at an accelerating rate.

2. How is space defined?

Space is defined as the three-dimensional extent in which objects and events have relative position and direction. It is also often referred to as the universe or the cosmos.

3. What is the shape of space?

The shape of space is a topic of debate among scientists. Some theories suggest that space is flat, while others propose that it is curved or even multi-dimensional.

4. Is space infinite?

The question of whether space is infinite is still unknown. It is currently believed that space is either infinite or has a finite but unmeasurable size.

5. What is the role of dark matter and dark energy in space?

Dark matter and dark energy are two mysterious substances that make up a large portion of the universe. They are believed to play a crucial role in the structure and expansion of space, but their exact nature and properties are still not fully understood.