Kalman Filters: Understanding Kalman Recursion and AR(1) Process

• Thread starter mr.t
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Recursion
In summary, I am trying to understand an example that is using kalman recursion to find the steady state kalman gain. I am stuck on the first iteration when I want to calculate x'(1|1) and i need y(1), how to i get it?
mr.t
As this is concerning signal processing i guess this is the right place to post the question. I am Trying to learn how to use kalman filters. I've reached some form of verry basic understanding of the state-space model but I am still kindof confused. What I am trying to do now is to understand an example that is using kalman recursion to find the steady state kalman gain.

We have an AR(1) process described by: x(n) = 0.5x(n-1) + w(n), where w(n) is white-noise with variance 0.64. we are observing a process: y(n) = x(n)+ v(n), where v(n) is white-noise with variance 1.

The state-space model becomes:
x(n) = 0.5x(n-1) + w(n)
y(n) = x(n) + v(n)

and we see that A(n-1) = 0.5, B(n) = 1 and C(n) = 1. From the variances we have Qw=0.64 and Qv=1.

We have the initial conditions: x'(0|0) = 0 and E{e^2(0|0)} = 1, where e(0|0) = x(0) - x'(0|0). (' = estimate) and I am trying to use these formulas to perform the recursion: (im skipping some matrix-related stuff since the matrices in this example is just single numbers so transposing isn't doing anything)

x'(n|n-1) = Ax'(n-1|n-1)
P(n|n-1) = AP(n-1|n-1)A + Qw
K(n) = P(n|n-1)C[CP(n|n-1)C+Qv]^-1
x'(n|n) = x'(n|n-1) + K(n)[y(n) - Cx'(n|n-1)]
P(n|n) = [I-K(n)C]P(n|n-1)

We start with P(0|0) = E{e^2(0|0)} = 1.

Ok. Now to my problem. How do i get y(n) ? I get stuck on the first iteration when I want to calculate x'(1|1) and i need y(1), how to i get it?

what is I ? on the last formula-row "P(n|n) = [I-K(n)C]P(n|n-1)"? In the example it is equal to 1, but
where do the 1 come from?

Also if anyone have any good (simple!) tutorial suggestion on the net about kalman-filtering that would be appreciated.

Thanks alot!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Ok my bad. Seems like you don't even calculate x(n|n|) in the recursion, you just calculate P(n|n-1), K(n) and P(n|n) for each step (!). But this leads to another question.

When you have done your iterations and found that your P:s and K:s are getting steady, they you have your Kalman gain as the steady K(n). But there is another formula of calculating K (pretty much the same, but apart from the iteration-formulas in my textmaterial) as in:

[tex]K = PC^{T}(CPC^{T} + Q_{v})^{-1}[/tex]

Is said to give the corresponding Kalman gain for the Riccati-equation:

[tex]P = APA^{T} + Q_{w} - APC^{T}[CPC^{T} + Q_{v}]^{-1}CPA^{T}[/tex]

Whats the deal with this Riccati-equation? can't you just use the iterations to find both P and your Gain at the same time?

Last edited:

Related to Kalman Filters: Understanding Kalman Recursion and AR(1) Process

1. What is a Kalman filter?

A Kalman filter is a mathematical algorithm used to estimate the state of a system, given a series of noisy measurements. It uses a recursive process to continually update the estimate based on new measurements, taking into account both the uncertainty in the measurements and the uncertainty in the system itself.

2. How does a Kalman filter work?

A Kalman filter works by combining two sets of information: a prediction of the system's state based on its previous state and a measurement of the system's state. The filter then calculates a weighted average of these two estimates, with more weight given to the estimate with lower uncertainty. This process is repeated with each new measurement, resulting in a more accurate state estimate over time.

3. What is the difference between Kalman recursion and AR(1) process?

Kalman recursion is the process of recursively updating the state estimate in a Kalman filter. AR(1) process, on the other hand, is a specific type of time series model that assumes the current value of a variable is related to its previous value by a linear function. Kalman recursion is used to update the state estimate in an AR(1) process, making the two concepts closely related.

4. What are some applications of Kalman filters?

Kalman filters are commonly used in fields such as engineering, navigation, and economics to estimate the state of a system based on noisy measurements. For example, they are used in aircraft navigation systems to estimate the position and velocity of the aircraft, and in weather forecasting to predict future weather conditions based on current measurements.

5. Are there any limitations of Kalman filters?

While Kalman filters can be highly effective in estimating the state of a system, they do have some limitations. One limitation is that they assume the system being modeled is linear, which may not always be the case in real-world scenarios. They also rely on accurate measurements and prior knowledge of the system's dynamics, which may not always be available. Additionally, they can be computationally expensive to implement, especially for large and complex systems.