Kant and treating others as means to an end: Is paternalism ever justified?

• Thread starter ifyco10
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses whether it is ever justified to use someone as a means to an end and disregard their intrinsic worth. It is mentioned that this may vary based on individual values and societal norms. The conversation also brings up Kant's perspective on using people as a mere means to an end, and if paternalism can ever be justified in this context.
ifyco10
Are there some situations where we are justified in
using someone as a means to an end and disregarding their intrinsic worth?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know, are there? someone will use someone else as a means to an end and another person won't. that's because we value individually.

our societies are represented and governed, by the prevailing group that, simply said, has "the most in common". there is something like a treshold within the society that dictates this rule.

so i will think on your question and let's say 10 other will. the anwsers will differ as much as psychology of the individual and as much as the societies they come from.

so rather think about who are you asking this question, you'll get a more sincere anwser and you'll also be able to view it on the widescreen.

pocebokli said:
our societies are represented and governed, by the prevailing group that, simply said, has "the most in common". there is something like a treshold within the society that dictates this rule.

Really? I hadn't noticed.

ifyco10 said:
Eeh, how do you use your hairdresser or the cashier down at the chemist's?
I, for one, am not passionately concerned with their intrinsic worth..
(I want the job done, not much more than that.)
Am I evil?

ifyco10 said:

You misunderstand Kant. He never claimed that we ought not use people as a means to an end. He claimed that we ought not use people as a mere means to an end. When I visit the doctor, I use the doctor as a means to the end of my health. But I do not treat him in a manner to which he cannot consent. When the doctor and I enter into an agreement (his services for my payment) we are both exercising our autonomy. Neither of us is being coerced or decieved. We both are acting in a manner to which the other can consent. This contract passes the Universalization test specified by Kant's first formulation of the Categorical Imperative. Imagine I held the doctor at gunpoint and demanded treatment. Under these circumstance, I'm taking the option to consent, to enter into an agreement with me, substantially out of the doctor's hands. I am coercing him. This is an example of failing to respect the autonomy of another, and hence of treating another as a mere means to an end (thus violating the second forumlation of the Categorical Imperative, the "Formula of Humanity").

The question you want to ask is: Is it ever permissible to treat someone as a mere means to an end? Try to imagine if it is ever permissible to act paternalistically; decieiving or coercing another with their best interests at heart. If paternalism is ever justified, then Kant must modify his position encapsulated in the Forumla of Humanity.

What is intrinsic worth according to Kant?

Intrinsic worth, also known as inherent worth, is the value or dignity that a person possesses simply by being a rational being, according to Immanuel Kant. This worth is not dependent on any external factors or accomplishments, but is inherent in every human being.

How does Kant define the difference between intrinsic worth and extrinsic worth?

Kant differentiates intrinsic worth from extrinsic worth by stating that intrinsic worth is based on the moral law, while extrinsic worth is based on utility or usefulness. In other words, intrinsic worth is inherent and cannot be taken away, while extrinsic worth is determined by external factors and can change.

What is the significance of intrinsic worth in Kant's moral philosophy?

Intrinsic worth is a central concept in Kant's moral philosophy, as it serves as the basis for his moral theory. According to Kant, all rational beings have intrinsic worth and should be treated as ends in themselves, rather than means to an end. This means that they should never be used or manipulated for the benefit of others.

How does Kant's concept of intrinsic worth relate to human rights?

Kant's concept of intrinsic worth is closely related to the idea of human rights. Intrinsic worth means that all human beings have a fundamental dignity and should be treated with respect and dignity. This aligns with the concept of human rights, which asserts that every person has certain rights that are inherent and cannot be taken away.

What are some criticisms of Kant's concept of intrinsic worth?

Some critics argue that Kant's concept of intrinsic worth is too narrow and does not account for the worth of non-human beings or the environment. Others argue that it is too abstract and does not provide practical guidance for moral decision-making. Additionally, some critics argue that Kant's emphasis on rationality and autonomy may exclude individuals with mental or physical disabilities from having intrinsic worth.