1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Keeping output air pressure constant.

1. Mar 7, 2012 #1
    Hello everyone, I am new here and just wanted to take this time to say hi. My name is Victor I am an automotive technician from Boston MA,
    I'm really glad I came across this Forum it has deffinetly peaked my interest. With that being said... I do have a question.

I am working on a project which requries 1 psi air pressure. My air source is 125 to 175 psi. So far I have obtained a 0-5 psi air pressure regulator (Dwyer MPR2-0) and can succsessfully set it to 1 psi. However, when my source pressure drops or raises it has a significant effect on my output pressure (+/- 2 psi). Question being, how can I keep my output pressure constant at 1 psi with a variable source pressure?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2012 #2
    Hmm. That's odd. The output pressure should remain constant as long as the input is greater than the set point. Only thing I can think of is that your flow rate is too high or your regulator is defective. You might also need to use a 2 stage regulator since the source pressure is so much higher than your output.

4. Mar 10, 2012 #3
    After doing some research I found a different regulator that does a better job at keeping constant pressure.
    Fisher Controls 912N

5. Mar 11, 2012 #4
    If you don't have one already try putting a resevoir (air tank) on the 1 PSI part of your system to act as a damper.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook