Kepler's problem in lagrangian formalism

• Thread starter quasar987
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lagrangian
In summary, the conversation discusses the lagrangian for Kepler's problem and the Runge-Lenz vector associated with it. The problem asks to discuss the properties of this vector, but the participants are unsure how to approach it. They consider transforming the lagrangian into a different form using generalized coordinates, but ultimately realize that the cartesian coordinates are the appropriate choice. It is noted that the lagrangian can be written in terms of the position vector, and this leads to solving the Newton problem for a reduced mass, with the units chosen such that the reduced mass is equal to 1.
quasar987
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
In the statement of the problem, it is said that with an appropriate choice of units, the lagrangian for Kepler's problem can be written

[tex]L=\frac{1}{2}\mathbf{\dot{q}}^2+q^{-1}[/tex]

A priori, what q is in terms of cartesian coordinates seems irrelevant because the problem only asks to show that the Runger-Lenz vector, defined by

[tex]A_k=\mathbf{\dot{q}}^2 q_k-\mathbf{q} \cdot \mathbf{\dot{q}}\dot{q_k}-q_k/q \ \ \ \ \ k=1,2,3[/tex]

or, in vectorial notation,

[tex]\mathbf{A}=\mathbf{\dot{q}}\times (\mathbf{q}\times \mathbf{\dot{q}})-\mathbf{q}/q[/tex]

is a constant of the motion associated (in the sense of Noether's thm) to a certain coordinate transformation.

But then the question asks, "Discuss the properties of this vector." and I'm kind of at a loss about what to say. I can't say much about its direction and its norm is ugly and uninsightful. So I figured if I knew what those q where in terms of cartesian coordinates, maybe I could make some sense out of the Runge-Lenz vector. So I try to get the lagrangian into the above form, right?

Ok, in cartesian, it is

[tex]L=\frac{m_1}{2}(\dot{x}_1^2+\dot{y}_1^2+\dot{z}_1^2)+\frac{m_2}{2}(\dot{x}_2^2+\dot{y}_2^2+\dot{z}_2^2)+\frac{Gm_1m_2}{\sqrt{(x_2-x_1)^2+(y_2-y_1)^2+(z_2-z_1)^2}}[/tex]

We can choose the units of mass, length and time such that the lagrangian becomes

[tex]L=\frac{1}{2}(\dot{x}_1^2+\dot{x}_2^2+\dot{y}_1^2+\dot{y}_2^2+\dot{z}_1^2+\dot{z}_2^2)+\frac{1}{\sqrt{(x_2-x_1)^2+(y_2-y_1)^2+(z_2-z_1)^2}}[/tex]

Compare this with where we want to go:

[tex]L_q=\frac{1}{2}(\dot{q}_1^2+\dot{q}_2^2+\dot{q}_3^2)+\frac{1}{\sqrt{q_1^2+q_2^2+q_3^3}}[/tex]

Are there really maps [itex]q_i(x_1,y_1,z_1,x_2,y_2,z_2)[/itex] that transform L into L_q ?!? :confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The q's are the generalized coordinates so if your generalized coordinates are the cartesian coordinates, then you should have the answer?

What?

The book says the lagrangian can be written like this:

Or, expanding the vectors into their components (i.e. the generalized coordinates),

[tex]L_q=\frac{1}{2}(\dot{q}_1^2+\dot{q}_2^2+\dot{q}_3^ 2)+\frac{1}{\sqrt{q_1^2+q_2^2+q_3^3}}[/tex]

On the other hand, the cartesian lagrangian is

[tex]L=\frac{1}{2}(\dot{x}_1^2+\dot{x}_2^2+\dot{y}_1^2+ \dot{y}_2^2+\dot{z}_1^2+\dot{z}_2^2)+\frac{1}{\sqr t{(x_2-x_1)^2+(y_2-y_1)^2+(z_2-z_1)^2}}[/tex]

Clearly the obvious [itex]q_1=(x_2-x_1)[/itex], [itex]q_2=(y_2-y_1)[/itex], [itex]q_3=(z_2-z_1)[/itex] inspired by comparison of the "potential term" does not work for if we expand [tex](\dot{q}_1^2+\dot{q}_2^2+\dot{q}_3^ 2)[/tex] in terms of x, y, z, we do not get [tex](\dot{x}_1^2+\dot{x}_2^2+\dot{y}_1^2+ \dot{y}_2^2+\dot{z}_1^2+\dot{z}_2^2)[/tex].

So I ask in disbelief, is there really a coordinate transformation that allows one to write L as

?

P.S. Ideas about what to say about [itex]\mathbf{A}[/itex] are of course welcome as well ! Besides the direction and the norm, what are interesting things to say about a vector? :grumpy:

I found it... q is actually just the ordinary position vector like Logarythmic pointed out (I think). So we are actually solving the Newton problem [particle in a 1/r potential] for a reduced mass µ (but with the units chosen to that µ=1). We can then set q=r1-r2 to get the solution to the actual Kepler problem.

1. What is Kepler's problem in Lagrangian formalism?

Kepler's problem in Lagrangian formalism refers to the application of Lagrangian mechanics to the study of planetary motion. It is based on the laws of motion and universal gravitation developed by Isaac Newton and the mathematical framework of Lagrangian mechanics developed by Joseph-Louis Lagrange.

2. How does Lagrangian formalism differ from Newtonian mechanics in solving Kepler's problem?

In Newtonian mechanics, planetary motion is described using differential equations, whereas in Lagrangian formalism, it is described using a single equation called the Lagrangian. This equation takes into account the kinetic and potential energies of the planet, making it easier to solve for the motion of the planet.

3. What is the significance of solving Kepler's problem in Lagrangian formalism?

Solving Kepler's problem in Lagrangian formalism allows for a more elegant and efficient solution to the motion of planets, as it reduces the number of equations that need to be solved. It also provides a deeper understanding of the underlying principles governing planetary motion.

4. What are the assumptions made in solving Kepler's problem using Lagrangian formalism?

The main assumption is that the planets move in a central force field, with the only force acting on them being the gravitational force from the central body. Additionally, it is assumed that the planets have negligible mass compared to the central body, and that the orbits are elliptical.

5. Can Kepler's problem in Lagrangian formalism be applied to other celestial bodies?

Yes, Kepler's problem in Lagrangian formalism can be applied to any celestial body that follows an elliptical orbit around a central body. This includes not only planets, but also comets, asteroids, and other objects in the solar system.