Proving Kepler's 2nd Law: Pluto's Area Sweep

In summary, the task is to prove that A1=A2, meaning that planets, specifically Pluto, will sweep out equal areas in equal amounts of time. To do this, the major axis, eccentricity, and minimum orbital velocity of Pluto are given. The distance of the perihelion and aphelion are found using the given information. The equation used to find the distance of the foci is eccentricity = distance between foci/major axis. The perihelion is found to be 4425000000 km away and the aphelion is 7375000000 km away. The equation for finding the area is given as Area = 1/2 x (Distance to sun) x (Current
Trizz

Homework Statement

I have to prove that A1=A2, or the fact that planets will sweep out equal areas in equal amounts of time. The planet I have to do this for is Pluto. Basically, I need help finding the area it "sweeps out" over any length of time of my choosing.

Homework Equations

major axis = 11.8 x 10^9 km
eccentricity = .25
minimum orbital velocity = 3.7 km/s

The Attempt at a Solution

So far, I've found the distance of the perihelion and the aphelion.

To do this I did: eccentricity = distance b/w foci / major axis

then i solved for the foci by doing: dis b/w foci = .25 * 11.8e9

that gave me the distance between the foci, so I was able to find out that the perihelion is 4425000000 km away and the aphelion is 7375000000 km.

Now do I just make a triangle for each with the legs being the distance away and the other being time traveled. It's hard to explain, but this picture shows it well:

http://outreach.atnf.csiro.au/education/senior/cosmicengine/images/cosmoimg/kepler2ndlaw.gif

So basically, how do I prove that those two areas equal with the info I now have

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I believe this equation may help

Area=1/2 x (Distance to sun) x (Current Velocity) x (Time)

so would it be

(.5)(perihelion dis)(?)(anything)

then

(,5)(aphelion dis)(?)(anything)

I put "?"'s in the velocity spot because I don't know how to find the velocity

I just noticed that it gives me Pluto's minimum orbital velocity at 3.7 km/s. So would plugging that into the formula above, the area one, give me the area of the aphelion (since it would be going slowest then)? Also, how would I determine the velocity of the perihelion.

1. How did Kepler discover his second law?

Kepler discovered his second law of planetary motion by analyzing the observations of Tycho Brahe, a Danish astronomer. He noticed that the speed of a planet changes as it orbits around the sun, and that the area swept out by the planet in a specific amount of time is always the same.

2. What is the significance of Kepler's second law?

Kepler's second law, also known as the law of equal areas, is significant because it shows that planets do not move at a constant speed while orbiting the sun. This law helps us understand the dynamics of planetary motion and is a key component in the study of celestial mechanics.

3. How was Kepler's second law proven using Pluto's orbit?

In 2014, scientists used data from NASA's New Horizons mission to measure the distance between Pluto and the sun at different points in its orbit. They then calculated the area swept out by Pluto in equal time intervals and found that it was consistent with Kepler's second law, providing strong evidence for its validity.

4. Why was Pluto chosen for this experiment?

Pluto was chosen for this experiment because it has a highly elliptical orbit, making it an ideal candidate for testing Kepler's second law. Its distance from the sun also allows for accurate measurements to be taken, and the data from New Horizons' mission provided the necessary information for the experiment.

5. How does proving Kepler's second law impact our understanding of the universe?

Proving Kepler's second law further solidifies our understanding of the laws of planetary motion and the dynamics of the solar system. It also allows us to make more accurate predictions and calculations about the orbits of other planets and celestial bodies. Additionally, it serves as a reminder of the incredible achievements of scientists like Kepler and the importance of continued research and discovery in the field of astronomy.