Kickoff in 4 Days: Who Knows What's Coming?

• Thread starter Chi Meson
  • Start date
In summary: Corvallis FRC" "Oregon FRC" "Jack Kamen Imagery Award"In summary, Chi Meson's daughter mentored for team 997 in Corvallis, Oregon this year and their robot, which had no wheels, went to the semi-finals of the Oregon regionals. They won the Jack Kamen Imagery award.
Chi Meson
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Who knows what I'm talking about!

aluma%20fett.png

Physics news on Phys.org
This is your robotics team Chi?

FIRST I've heard of it!

Are the rules always the same?

Borek said:
Are the rules always the same?
The game is different each year. Some basic rules are recurrent: no more than 4 CIM motors, only certain brands of 12V batteries, 120 lb weight limit, numerals on bumpers must be 4" high, etc. There is also a recurring "this is not battlebots" rule; we are never allowed to deliberately damage another robot. But mostly, new rules every year. That's what is going to make this weekend so long. I mean "fun."

I am taking this year off. My daughter however is mentoring for team 955 in Corvallis. So I will be in touch. Might find it hard to stay away. I'll see how the season goes.

Good luck Al Falcons!

Do any 'battlebots' competitions exist similar to this one?

Chi Meson said:
120 lb weight limit, numerals on bumpers must be 4" high, etc.

You'd think if anything would go metric, it would be this...

Vanadium 50 said:
I always smile when I read a paper in a science journal and the size of the test specimen was 25.4mm.

But some US engineers have gone metric. For example Boeing design their airplane fuselages in sections 8 feet 4 inches long. Think about it ...

AlephZero said:
I always smile when I read a paper in a science journal and the size of the test specimen was 25.4mm.

But some US engineers have gone metric. For example Boeing design their airplane fuselages in sections 8 feet 4 inches long. Think about it ...

You beat me to it! I was going to say that "teams can get aluminum stock for their robot chassis with fastening holes drilled every 1.27 cm"

Aw jeez, it's tomorrow! *hyperventilates*

Oh jiminy, here we go.

There is chatter out there, and it is suggesting that this game is going to be unlike any prior FRC game.

Somebody who knows somebody who knows somebody who's been assembling the field parts is saying that no one is ready for this year.

Tune into NASA (cable or website) at 10:30 tomorrow AM (EST) to see what the game is.

Good luck, Chi! Best of luck to your team!

Vanadium 50 said:

I think we'll be using English units in engineering until the heat death of the universe, unfortunately.

It's Frisbee!

No one saw this coming!

Last edited by a moderator:
Rules are way too complicated if you ask me.

Can't wait to see the real game. Good luck Chi! :)

The robot is in the bag. It's "Stop Build Day" in the FRC world. Last Saturday we won the pre-season scrimmage in Suffield , CT, for the 2nd year. That was without even being able to shoot (we have a beastly defensive driver!).
I'll try to get an image up

What have I been doing recently?

Winning!

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/581730_10200909442282350_422540557_n.jpg
Winners of the WPI Regional FIRST Robotics Competition

These are all the mentors of our team, the Aluminum Falcons. We led the 6th-seeded alliance through a series of upsets in the quarter- and semi-finals, culminating in a close, 3rd game in the best of 3 final.

Here are the kids on the team (about 10 are missing) :(
https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/734149_4686694880578_2030076953_n.jpg

Chi Meson said:
What have I been doing recently?

Winning!
Congratulations Chi Meson.

Congrats Chi!

WOOT! Aluminum Falcons. :tongue2:

Congrats Chi & The Al Falcons!

My daughter was mentoring for the Corvallis Hi Spartans, team 997 this year. They went to the semi finals of the Oregon regionals with a robot that had no wheels. They sat it at the bottom of the tower and just climbed. 30 pts every match. Since they did not do a video animation competition this year she headed the team spirit group. They won the Jack Kamen Imagery award. needless to say she came home very happy and a bit hoarse!

Integral said:
Congrats Chi & The Al Falcons!

My daughter was mentoring for the Corvallis Hi Spartans, team 997 this year. They went to the semi finals of the Oregon regionals with a robot that had no wheels. They sat it at the bottom of the tower and just climbed. 30 pts every match. Since they did not do a video animation competition this year she headed the team spirit group. They won the Jack Kamen Imagery award. needless to say she came home very happy and a bit hoarse!

No wheels! Is that the first time ever?
I got to find a video of that!

Easy search:

1. What is "Kickoff in 4 Days: Who Knows What's Coming?"

"Kickoff in 4 Days: Who Knows What's Coming?" is a scientific event that is held every four years to showcase new and groundbreaking research and discoveries in various fields of science. It is a gathering of scientists, researchers, and experts from around the world to share their knowledge and insights.

2. When will "Kickoff in 4 Days: Who Knows What's Coming?" take place?

The next "Kickoff in 4 Days: Who Knows What's Coming?" event is scheduled to take place in four days, as the name suggests. The exact date may vary depending on the location and host country.

3. Who can attend "Kickoff in 4 Days: Who Knows What's Coming?"

Scientists, researchers, students, and anyone with a keen interest in science can attend "Kickoff in 4 Days: Who Knows What's Coming?" However, registration and tickets may be required, and some sessions may be restricted to specific professionals or fields of study.

4. What can I expect from "Kickoff in 4 Days: Who Knows What's Coming?"

At "Kickoff in 4 Days: Who Knows What's Coming?", you can expect to see presentations and talks from renowned scientists, interactive workshops, poster sessions, and networking opportunities. You may also get a chance to learn about the latest technologies and innovations in various scientific fields.

5. How can I stay updated about "Kickoff in 4 Days: Who Knows What's Coming?"

You can stay updated about "Kickoff in 4 Days: Who Knows What's Coming?" by following the official website or social media pages of the event. You can also sign up for email notifications or newsletters to receive the latest news and updates about the event.