Kikuchi lines Vs Kikuchi bands (EBSD in SEM)

• Thread starter antonni
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lines Sem
In summary, the formation of kikuchi bands in SEM or EBSD patterns is not entirely understood. The bands are formed due to the diffraction of electrons in the phosphor screen, with bragg diffraction being decreased in the incident direction and enhanced in the "bragg" direction. The bands are confined between two dark lines and are wider in SEM compared to TEM. The formation of these bands is still a mystery and further research is needed for a better understanding of this phenomenon.
antonni
Good day,
anyone can point out to me how kikuchi bands are formed? And I mean bands, not lines. I finally managed to understand (I think) kikuchi lines: bragg diffraction is decreased in the incident direction (defecit=darker line) and enhanced in the "bragg" direction (excess=brighter line) and all this happens above the diffused background (backscattered electrons in all directions basically), which covers all the phosphor screen quite evenly throughout. And please correct me if I am wrong.

I did saw some TEM pictures where this phenomena can be seen. I also, however saw kikuchi bands: bright bands on a fairly dark background, confined between, what seems to me, 2 dark lines:
silicon_EBSP.jpg

here you can see this (the middle band). Is this just an "eye illusion"? it seems that for any excess kikuchi line, forming one boundary of the band, with its darker parallel twin (the defecit kikuchi line) where is a DARK region, or DARK LINE just near to it, on other pictures it is a lot clearer and it seems that the kikuchi band is confined between to DARK DEFECIT LINES. IS IT? If so, what happened to the excess line?
2007910151531.gif

Another question: I understand that the band is 2theta(bragg) wide, but what happens in between I do not understand. What I understand is that the the in between the lines is just the diffused background of the scattering.

Anyone who can shed some light on the formation and origin of this contrast in the EBSD patterns from SEM, his contribution will be much appreciated. I have to prepare a little slide show and tell my colleagues at work about EBSD- which is something new we going to have here with our SEM soon, so I have to be "sort off" the expert. So to start with it can be nice to know these little details.

Thanks

Anton

Physics news on Phys.org
Guess no SEM experts here :)
Got tons of books- finally found one ("Introduction to texture analysis") that actually addresses the difference between kikuchi bands in SEM a.k.a EBSD (pseudo-kikuchi bands they are called, it turns out) and TEM (kikuchi bands)...but of course, surprise surprise...no clear explanation, non at all, to why we have the bands between actually two dark lines or why the capture angle in SEM is greater and other issues...seen everything the net has to offer I think on the subject. The pseudo-kikuchi band is a mystery.
It seems the subject is very obscure and no one actually knows why we see what we see on the detectors screen

Hi Anton,

The topic is not trivial, actually.
I have tried to explain EBSD pattern formation in these references:

"Principles of depth-resolved Kikuchi pattern simulation for electron backscatter diffraction"
A. WINKELMANN
Journal of Microscopy 239, (2010) 32–45
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-2818.2009.03353.x/abstract

And in this chapter:
http://www.springer.com/cda/content/document/cda_downloaddocument/9780387881355-c2.pdf?SGWID=0-0-45-749108-p173906909
http://www.springer.com/cda/content/document/cda_downloaddocument/9780387881355-c2.pdf?SGWID=0-0-45-749108-p173906909
in:
Electron Backscatter Diffraction in Materials Science
Schwartz, A.J.; Kumar, M.; Adams, B.L.; Field, D.P. (Eds.)
2nd ed., 2009, ISBN: 978-0-387-88135-5 DOI:10.1007/978-0-387-88136-2_2Aimo.

1. What is the difference between Kikuchi lines and Kikuchi bands in EBSD?

Kikuchi lines and Kikuchi bands are both patterns that appear in electron backscatter diffraction (EBSD) images. Kikuchi lines are individual lines that appear in the image, while Kikuchi bands are clusters of multiple lines. Kikuchi lines are used to determine crystal orientation, while Kikuchi bands are used to identify different crystallographic planes.

2. How are Kikuchi lines and Kikuchi bands formed in EBSD?

Kikuchi lines and Kikuchi bands are formed due to the diffraction of electrons by the crystal lattice of a sample. The electrons diffract off of the crystal planes and create a unique pattern that can be analyzed to determine the crystal orientation and structure.

3. Can Kikuchi lines and Kikuchi bands be observed in all materials?

Yes, Kikuchi lines and Kikuchi bands can be observed in all crystalline materials. However, the patterns may look different depending on the material's crystal structure and orientation.

4. How is EBSD used in conjunction with SEM?

EBSD is a technique that is often used in conjunction with scanning electron microscopy (SEM). The SEM provides the electron beam to interact with the sample, and the EBSD detector collects the diffraction patterns to determine crystal orientation and structure.

5. What are the advantages of using EBSD in SEM compared to other techniques?

EBSD in SEM offers several advantages, including high spatial resolution, fast data acquisition, and the ability to analyze large areas of a sample. It also allows for the simultaneous acquisition of crystal orientation and imaging data, providing a more comprehensive understanding of the sample's microstructure.