Kinematic and geometric similarity (fluids)

In summary: In other words, we are looking to find the length, speed and number of frames that a model of car length L, speed n and number of frames T would take if it were to be filmed at the normal speed N. In summary, the model speed would be V = LT^{-1} N and the filming speed would be N = LT^{-1} V.
selig5753
Homework Statement
In filming a motion picture, an automobile of length L is to be driven over a vertical cliff at speed V. The normal filming speed is N frames per second. If a model car of length l is substituted for economy what is the proper value for the model speed v and filming speed n? Assume that the film will be projected at normal speed and that air resistance can be neglected; i.e., the mechanics are essentially those of a point mass
Relevant Equations
v = V sqrt(l/L), n = N sqrt(L/l)
My attempt at a solution is to start off first denoting V_a to be the automobile an V_e to be the economy version. Same goes with l_a and l_e. To try and relate the two I have tried: V_a I_a = V_l L_e, however I am really not sure how they got the square root.

The answer is: v = V sqrt(l/L), n = N sqrt(L/l)

Physics news on Phys.org
selig5753 said:
Homework Statement:: In filming a motion picture, an automobile of length L is to be driven over a vertical cliff at speed V. The normal filming speed is N frames per second. If a model car of length l is substituted for economy what is the proper value for the model speed v and filming speed n? Assume that the film will be projected at normal speed and that air resistance can be neglected; i.e., the mechanics are essentially those of a point mass
Relevant Equations:: v = V sqrt(l/L), n = N sqrt(L/l)

My attempt at a solution is to start off first denoting V_a to be the automobile an V_e to be the economy version. Same goes with l_a and l_e. To try and relate the two I have tried: V_a I_a = V_l L_e, however I am really not sure how they got the square root.

The answer is: v = V sqrt(l/L), n = N sqrt(L/l)

Just so we are clear:
- Geometric Similarity - the model must be the same shape as the prototype but can be scaled to be larger or smaller
- Kinematic Similarity - the velocity at any point in the fluid flow must be proportional (by a constant scale factor) to the velocity at the corresponding point in the prototype field

Okay, so for these sorts of problems, we usually want to relate dimensionless groups (e.g. Reynold's number) to one another. Have you been given any dimensionless groups? If not, have you learned about the 'Buckingham [itex] \pi [/itex] Theorem'? I would perhaps make a start by creating these dimensionless groups (or getting some from a list of standard ones) and seeing whether you can use the definitions above to set them equal to each other for the real car and the model car to get the required results.

I would encourage you to look into Buckingham [itex] \pi [/itex] if you haven't heard about it - it is a bit too much for me to type up on here, but basically the concept is taking all the variables you have in your problem and using them to create dimensionless groups by looking at their units.

Last edited:
I have learned about the Buckingham Pi theorem however, I was not entirely sure if this was the correct approach since we are given velocity LT^{-1}, length L and that's it. Am I missing something?

My approach with the buckingham Pi theorem was this: ##(LT^{-1})^{a} (L)^{b} (n T^{-1})^{c}##.

What is kinematic similarity?

Kinematic similarity refers to the similarity of motion between two fluids or objects. It means that the velocity and acceleration patterns of the fluids or objects are similar.

What is geometric similarity?

Geometric similarity refers to the similarity of shape and size between two fluids or objects. It means that the overall dimensions and proportions of the fluids or objects are similar.

Why is kinematic similarity important in fluid mechanics?

Kinematic similarity is important in fluid mechanics because it allows us to study the behavior of fluids in different situations and make predictions based on the similarities in motion. This can help us understand how fluids will behave in real-world scenarios.

How is geometric similarity achieved in experiments?

Geometric similarity is achieved in experiments by using models that have the same proportions and dimensions as the real-life objects or fluids being studied. This allows for accurate observations and predictions to be made.

What is the significance of the Reynolds number in kinematic and geometric similarity?

The Reynolds number is a dimensionless quantity that represents the ratio of inertial forces to viscous forces in a fluid. It is important in kinematic and geometric similarity because it helps determine when two fluids or objects will exhibit similar behavior. If the Reynolds number is the same for two fluids or objects, then they are considered kinematically and geometrically similar.