Kinematics / Acceleration Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a 100m sprint where the athlete accelerates for the first 60m and then maintains a constant speed for the remaining 40m. The conversation includes calculations for acceleration, velocity, and displacement using various kinematic equations. The correct formula and solution are determined through discussion and correction of a calculation error.
bakoo

Homework Statement

Q1. In a 100m sprint the athlete can be assumed to accelerate linearly for the first 60m (which takes 7s to cover). For the remaining 40m the running speed is constant.
a) Determine the acceleration over the initial 60m. (5 marks)

b) Draw a graph of
i) acceleration v time (2 marks)
ii) speed v time (2 marks)
iii) distance v time (2 marks)

c) Determine the time taken to complete 100m both graphically and numerically. (4 marks)

Homework Equations

s = ut + 0.5at^2

s = displacement

t = time

a = acceleration

v = u + at

v = velocity

u = initial velocity

t = time

s = 0.5(u+v)t

The Attempt at a Solution

Acceleration = 2.163 m/s^3

Velocity = 15.141m/s

----

My problem is when i use other kinematic equations i don't get back to the same values as given in the problem.

when using formula

V^2 = U^2 +2as

i get a different velocty

and when i use formula

s = 0.5at^2

i get a different displacement.

---

So have i solved this corrent?

Any advice on what is the corrent formula or what is the correct answer would be most appreciated... thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
i think you may have made a numerical calculation error... check numbers again

Hey I'm not that good at physics or anything but i'll give it a go...

D=ut + .5 a t^2
60= 0 + 1/2 a 7^2
120 = 49a
a = 2.45 m/s...only slightly different to what you got.

Yes, i think you are 100% corrent, i am just going over all the Kinematic equations again.

I believe what i have done is a pre-school error.

I have done 0 * 7 and managed to get 7 =) which its supposed to be 0.

Think its all fixed, thanks...

Related to Kinematics / Acceleration Problem

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the study of motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity with respect to time. It is a vector quantity and is measured in units of meters per second squared (m/s²).

3. How is acceleration related to kinematics?

Acceleration is an important concept in kinematics as it describes how the velocity of an object changes over time. Kinematics equations can be used to calculate acceleration, given initial and final velocities and the time elapsed.

4. What are some common types of acceleration problems in kinematics?

Some common types of acceleration problems in kinematics include constant acceleration, uniform acceleration, and non-uniform acceleration. These problems involve finding the acceleration of an object given its initial and final velocities and the time elapsed, or finding the distance or displacement traveled by an object under a given acceleration.

5. How can I solve acceleration problems in kinematics?

To solve acceleration problems in kinematics, you can use the kinematics equations, which relate the variables of acceleration, velocity, displacement, and time. It is important to clearly identify the given variables and choose the appropriate equation to solve for the unknown variable. Also, make sure to pay attention to the units of measurement and use the correct units in your calculations.