Bus and Sports Car Kinematics Problem

In summary, the question asks at what time will a sports car catch up to a bus that is traveling at 15.0m/s [E] and slowing down at an acceleration of 0.5m/s^2 [W], while the sports car has a velocity of 6m/s [E] and is accelerating at 2.5m/s^2 [E]. To solve this, the equations d = 15t + 1/2(-0.5)t^2 and d = 6t + 1/2(2.5)t^2 can be used, where d represents the distance traveled by both vehicles. By equating these equations and solving for t, it is determined that the
lovemake1

Homework Statement

Question reads: A bus traveling at 15.0m/s [E], started to slow down with an acceleration of 0.5m/s^2[W] as soon as it was abreast of a sports car. At the same instant, the sports car had a velocity of 6m/s [E] and was accelerating at 2.5m/s^2 [E]. At what time does the sports car catch up to the bus?

Homework Equations

vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad
d = Vit + 1/2at^2

The Attempt at a Solution

d = 15t + 1/2(-0.5)t^2 <-- bus
d = 6t + 1/2(2.5)t^2 <-- car

these are the two equations that i have and will i use these two equations to solve for time ? or distance?

im very confused at this point. ( putting two different object's speed together)

please help me further guide me with this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org

Hi ya,

The equation you have used is correct - remember, that if the car has caught up with the bus, then d will be the same for both. Hope this helps :)

The question sounds so confusing to me :S If the bus and the car are abreast, then the car has already caught up with the bus..

Anyway, usually for this kind of thing, you have 2 equations, use the variable that is in common with both of them, equate them to each other and solve

d = 15t + 1/2(-0.5)t^2 <<--- for the bus

d = 6t + 1/2(2.5)t^2 <<-- for the sport car.

Solve the simultaneous equation and you had it.

I hope I'm right @_@.

My answer is 6seconds.

1. What is the Kinematics bus problem?

The Kinematics bus problem is a classic physics problem that involves a bus traveling along a straight road with a constant velocity and making a sudden stop. The problem requires using kinematic equations to determine the bus's distance traveled, velocity, and acceleration at different points in time.

2. What are the key concepts in solving the Kinematics bus problem?

The key concepts in solving the Kinematics bus problem include understanding kinematic equations, using the correct units for distance, time, and velocity, and considering the bus's initial and final conditions (such as its initial velocity and acceleration).

3. How do you approach solving the Kinematics bus problem?

To solve the Kinematics bus problem, you should first identify the given information, such as the bus's initial velocity, acceleration, and time intervals. Then, use the appropriate kinematic equations to solve for the unknown variables. Finally, check your answer for reasonableness and accuracy by considering the units and physical meaning of the answer.

4. Can the Kinematics bus problem be solved without using kinematic equations?

No, the Kinematics bus problem involves using kinematic equations to determine the bus's motion. These equations relate the bus's displacement, velocity, and acceleration to each other and to time. Without using these equations, it would be challenging to accurately solve the problem.

5. How is the Kinematics bus problem relevant to real-world scenarios?

The Kinematics bus problem is relevant to real-world scenarios as it allows us to understand and predict the motion of objects in a variety of situations. For example, in driving a car, we use similar concepts and equations to determine the necessary braking distance and time. In sports, kinematics is used to analyze the motion of athletes, such as calculating their speed and acceleration in a sprint. Overall, understanding kinematics helps us make predictions and improve our understanding of the physical world.