1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics bus problem

1. Nov 26, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Question reads: A bus travelling at 15.0m/s [E], started to slow down with an acceleration of 0.5m/s^2[W] as soon as it was abreast of a sports car. At the same instant, the sports car had a velocity of 6m/s [E] and was accelerating at 2.5m/s^2 [E]. At what time does the sports car catch up to the bus?

2. Relevant equations
    vf^2 = vi^2 + 2ad
    d = Vit + 1/2at^2

3. The attempt at a solution

d = 15t + 1/2(-0.5)t^2 <-- bus
    d = 6t + 1/2(2.5)t^2 <-- car

these are the two equations that i have and will i use these two equations to solve for time ? or distance?

im very confused at this point. ( putting two different object's speed together)

please help me further guide me with this problem.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 26, 2009 #2
    Re: Kinematics

Hi ya,

The equation you have used is correct - remember, that if the car has caught up with the bus, then d will be the same for both. Hope this helps :)

4. Nov 26, 2009 #3

The question sounds so confusing to me :S If the bus and the car are abreast, then the car has already caught up with the bus..

Anyway, usually for this kind of thing, you have 2 equations, use the variable that is in common with both of them, equate them to each other and solve

5. Nov 27, 2009 #4

d = 15t + 1/2(-0.5)t^2 <<--- for the bus

d = 6t + 1/2(2.5)t^2 <<-- for the sport car.

Solve the simultaneous equation and you had it.

I hope i'm right @_@.

My answer is 6seconds.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook