Kinematics Equation Help: Calculating Runner's Acceleration for 10,000m Run

• Thread starter NRasmus1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Kinematics
In summary, the runner must accelerate at 0.20m/s^2 for 3 seconds in order to achieve the desired time of completing the 10,000m run in less than 30.0 minutes. This is based on the initial velocity of 5.5m/s^2 calculated for the first 27 minutes and the remaining distance of 1100m. The SUVAT formula can be used to solve for the time taken.
NRasmus1
A runner hopes to complete the 10,000m run in less than 30.0 minutes. After exactly 27.0 minutes, there are still 1100m to go. The runner must then accelerate at 0.20m/s^2 for how many seconds in order to achieve the desired time.

I have calculated the runner moving at 5.5m/s^2 for the first 27 minutes. I have no idea how to calculate this problem, all I know is that it will need to be divided into two parts.

With 180 seconds remaining, the runner would need to be going 6.1m/s^2 to complete the race on time. So they will need to accelerate about .6m/s^2 which is about 3 seconds, but I don't know what equations I need to plug into one another to show my work for this problem.

Physics news on Phys.org
NRasmus1 said:
A runner hopes to complete the 10,000m run in less than 30.0 minutes. After exactly 27.0 minutes, there are still 1100m to go. The runner must then accelerate at 0.20m/s^2 for how many seconds in order to achieve the desired time.

I have calculated the runner moving at 5.5m/s^2 for the first 27 minutes. I have no idea how to calculate this problem, all I know is that it will need to be divided into two parts.

With 180 seconds remaining, the runner would need to be going 6.1m/s^2 to complete the race on time. So they will need to accelerate about .6m/s^2 which is about 3 seconds, but I don't know what equations I need to plug into one another to show my work for this problem.

It's 5.5 m/s
You have initial velocity, acceleration and and distance. Use SUVAT formula to solve the time taken.

I think you must use d=vit+0.5at^2 or a variation of that.

1. What are the basic kinematics equations?

The basic kinematics equations are:
- Displacement (Δx) = Final position (xf) - Initial position (xi)
- Average velocity (vavg) = Δx/Δt
- Acceleration (a) = Change in velocity (Δv)/Change in time (Δt)
- Final velocity (vf) = Initial velocity (vi) + at
- Displacement (Δx) = viΔt + ½at²

2. How do I use the kinematics equations to solve problems?

To solve problems using the kinematics equations, you first need to identify what is given and what you are trying to find. Then, choose the appropriate equation and plug in the given values to solve for the unknown. It is important to pay attention to units and use consistent units throughout the problem.

3. Can the kinematics equations be used for objects with non-constant acceleration?

Yes, the kinematics equations can be used for objects with non-constant acceleration by using calculus to find the instantaneous values of velocity and acceleration at specific points in time. Alternatively, the equations can be used to find average values over a certain time interval.

4. What is the difference between distance and displacement?

Distance is the total length traveled by an object, while displacement is the shortest distance between the initial and final position of the object. Distance is a scalar quantity, meaning it only has magnitude, while displacement is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction.

5. Can the kinematics equations be used for objects moving in two or three dimensions?

Yes, the kinematics equations can be used for objects moving in two or three dimensions by breaking down the motion into separate components and using the equations for each component separately. This is known as vector decomposition.