Kinematics: finding acceleration

In summary, the conversation is about trying to solve a problem involving a weather rocket being launched straight up with a constant acceleration for 16 seconds and then stopping. The question is what was the rocket's acceleration during the first 16 seconds, given that the rocket reached an altitude of 5100 meters after 20 seconds and air resistance can be ignored. The conversation includes a possible solution and suggestions for finding the correct answer. The summary advises to develop a closed form solution for easier evaluation of logical vs computational errors.
kapatter
I've been trying to figure this question out, and am now near on to pulling my hair out.
A 1000 kg weather rocket is launched straight up. The rocket motor provides a constant acceleration for 16 seconds, then the motor stops. The rocket altitude 20 seconds after launch is 5100 meters. You can ignore any effects of air resistance. What was the rocket's acceleration during the first 16 seconds?

In my panick for a solution, one thing I tried was this:
v = u+at,
= 0 +16a
= 16a
distance traveled during first 16 second
s= ut +(1/2) at^2
= 0 + (1/2) at^2 = (1/2) a 20^2 = 200a

total distance traveled after 20 second = 5100 m

5100 = 200a + 16a x4 -(1/2) x9.8 x4^2
264a = 5178.4
a = 19.61 m/sec^2 ...but obviously, this is incorrect. If anybody has any suggestions at all, I would be really grateful. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You're on the right track, but making small errors in your math. First, in your initial calculation of s, you say that you want to calculate s after 16 seconds, and then plug in t=20 into the equation.

So fix that, and then make it clear what the velocity and acceleration are doing during the two time periods to give you the total.

I think you have a good start. The distance traveled during the last 4 seconds if I'm thinking right should be treated kinematically as the distance traveled with the Vi being the velocity after 16 secs subject to the decelleration due to gravity. That could be a delta Y. The other Y achieved during the first 16 seconds is 5100 less delta Y.

So keep on keeping on but develop an all at once closed form solution, that can be evaluated. This way logical vs computational errors can be eassily tested.

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. In simpler terms, it is how quickly an object's speed or direction is changing.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration can be calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time. The unit for acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s²).

3. How does acceleration affect an object's motion?

Acceleration can either increase or decrease an object's speed, change its direction, or both. If an object is accelerating in the same direction as its initial velocity, the object will speed up. If an object is accelerating in the opposite direction as its initial velocity, the object will slow down. The magnitude of acceleration also affects an object's motion, with a higher acceleration resulting in a greater change in velocity.

4. What are the different types of acceleration?

There are three main types of acceleration: uniform, non-uniform, and instantaneous. Uniform acceleration is when an object's acceleration is constant, meaning it changes by the same amount over equal time intervals. Non-uniform acceleration is when an object's acceleration changes at different rates over time. Instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time.

5. How is acceleration represented in a velocity vs. time graph?

In a velocity vs. time graph, acceleration is represented by the slope of the line. A steeper slope indicates a greater acceleration, while a flatter slope indicates a smaller acceleration. If the line is horizontal, the object is not accelerating (constant velocity). If the line is curved, the acceleration is changing over time.