1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics in two dimensions

1. Sep 17, 2006 #1
    Ive been trying to get this problem. I already have the answers but I want to know how to solve it.

An airplane with a speed of 77.5 m/s is climbing upward at an angle of 34.1 ° with respect to the horizontal. When the plane's altitude is 585 m, the pilot releases a package. (a) Calculate the distance along the ground, measured from a point directly beneath the point of release, to where the package hits the earth. (b) Relative to the ground, determine the angle of the velocity vector of the package just before impact.

The answers are:
    (a)1040 m
    (b)-61.0°

Can someone help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2006 #2
    what have you done so far??

4. Sep 17, 2006 #3
    goj2: a) work out how long the package will take to fall 585m. Then multiply the answer by the forward speed of the aircraft, worked out using trigonometry. b) is more trigonometry based on the forward speed and the vertical speed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?