Calculating Takeoff Speed for an Olympic Long Jumper

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a long jumper and their take off speed. The solution involves using two equations, one for horizontal distance and one for vertical distance, and solving for the take off speed by substituting one variable in terms of the other.
pinky2468
Kinematics in Two Dimensions??

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could give a little help on this problem. I can't figure out where to begin!
An Olympic long jumper leaves the ground at an angle of 23 degrees and travels through the air for a horizontal distance of 8.7m before landing. What is the take off speed of the jumper?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Let x be horizontal and y be vertical and suppose the jumper takes off from the origin (0, 0) at t = 0. Then
[tex]x = v_0 \cos( \theta) t[/tex]
and
[tex]y = v_0 \sin(\theta) t - \frac{1}{2}g t^2[/tex]
so, first, find the time at which he/she lands (y = 0) and use that value of t in the first equation to find [itex]v_0[/itex]

Why is y=0 and for the y equation given is V=0?

pinky2468 said:
Why is y=0 and for the y equation given is V=0?

y=0 on landing because he is landing on the ground which where you are measuring from!

No, v0 is the same in both equations. (It is the sine and cosine that distinguish vertical and horizontal speeds.) That means that what Tide suggested isn't quite right- you can't "find the time at which he/she lands (y = 0) and use that value of t in the first equation to find v0".

What you can do is use the length of the jump given and solve the two simultaneous equations
[tex]v_0cos(23)t= 8.7 [/tex] and
[tex]v_0sin(23)t- \frac{g}{2}t^2= 0[/tex]
for both t and v0.

I'm sorry, I feel retarded but I still don't understand how you can have to unknown variables in one problem. If I don't know Vo or time how do I even solve the first equation?

you can always remove one variable by substituting it as something else...

for instance, you can use t = x/(cos23 *v)

Last edited:
HallsofIvy said:
That means that what Tide suggested isn't quite right

Picky, picky! :smile:

Obviously, when I say "solve for" I meant solve for t in terms of [itex]v_0[itex].

Related to Calculating Takeoff Speed for an Olympic Long Jumper

What is kinematics in two dimensions?

Kinematics in two dimensions is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects in a two-dimensional space, such as a plane. It involves analyzing the position, velocity, and acceleration of objects over time.

What is the difference between kinematics in one dimension and two dimensions?

The main difference between kinematics in one dimension and two dimensions is the number of dimensions being considered. In one-dimensional kinematics, only the motion along a single straight line is studied, while in two-dimensional kinematics, the motion in two perpendicular directions is analyzed.

What are the basic equations used in kinematics in two dimensions?

The basic equations used in kinematics in two dimensions are the same as those used in one-dimensional kinematics, with the addition of equations for motion in the second dimension. These include equations for displacement, velocity, and acceleration in both the x and y directions.

How is projectile motion related to kinematics in two dimensions?

Projectile motion is a specific type of motion that involves an object being launched into the air and moving in a curved path under the influence of gravity. It is related to kinematics in two dimensions because it involves analyzing the motion of an object in both the horizontal and vertical dimensions simultaneously.

What is the difference between displacement and distance in two-dimensional kinematics?

Displacement is a vector quantity that describes the change in an object's position from its initial position to its final position. It includes both magnitude (distance) and direction. Distance, on the other hand, is a scalar quantity that only describes the total length of the path traveled by an object, regardless of direction. In two-dimensional kinematics, displacement and distance may be different because an object's path may involve changes in both the x and y directions.