Kinematics motion, projectile. This was an mcat problem. Thanks

In summary, a firecracker with mass 100g is propelled vertically with a launch force of 1.2N applied over 5s, after which it explodes into two 50g fragments. One fragment goes horizontally at 15m/s and the other goes to the right at angle 53 degrees with the horizontal at speed 25 m/s. find the distance between them once they hit the ground.
HumorMe81
A firecracker with mass 100g is propelled vertically with a launch force of 1.2N applied over 5s, after which it explodes into two 50g fragments. One fragment goes horizontally at 15m/s and the other goes to the right at angle 53 degrees with the horizontal at speed 25 m/s. find the distance between them once they hit the ground.

This is what I did:

Force up - Fg = ma
1.2N - 1N = .1kg a
a = 2m/s^2 upward

I used this info to calculate the speed right before the explosion:
V = Vi + at
V = 0 + 2m/s^2 * 5s= 10m/s
The distance elapsed in this time is:
Y = Vi*t + 1/2gt^2
Y = 1/2 (2m/s^2)*(5s)^2 = 25m

Since the problem says after the 5s the cracker explodes, I thought the fragment that goes left takes 5s to come back down and the distance it would travel is 75m. But I'm wrong. It travels 33m.
X = Vi*t + 0

The fragment moving to the right is at an angle so it has a horizontal and vertical components. Vx is 15m/s and Vy is 20m/s.

Can someone guide me please? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
HumorMe81 said:
Since the problem says after the 5s the cracker explodes, I thought the fragment that goes left takes 5s to come back down and the distance it would travel is 75m. But I'm wrong. It travels 33m.
You need to determine the time it takes to hit the ground. What's the acceleration of any falling body?

The fragment moving to the right is at an angle so it has a horizontal and vertical components. Vx is 15m/s and Vy is 20m/s.
Same thing for this one. How long does it take before it hits the ground.

Hint: The time it takes to hit the ground depends only on the vertical motion.

HumorMe81 said:
A firecracker with mass 100g is propelled vertically with a launch force of 1.2N applied over 5s, after which it explodes into two 50g fragments. One fragment goes horizontally at 15m/s and the other goes to the right at angle 53 degrees with the horizontal at speed 25 m/s. find the distance between them once they hit the ground.

This is what I did:

Force up - Fg = ma
1.2N - 1N = .1kg a
a = 2m/s^2 upward

Your a is off by 10%.
I used this info to calculate the speed right before the explosion:
V = Vi + at
V = 0 + 2m/s^2 * 5s= 10m/s
Why compute this?
The distance elapsed in this time is:
Y = Vi*t + 1/2gt^2
Y = 1/2 (2m/s^2)*(5s)^2 = 25m

EDIT:
Correct this with the right a. The acceleration is a, not g as your formula states, but I see you did use a instead of g after all. So you're not off by much for Y.

I see doc al has put in so I'll leave it to him for the rest.

Last edited:
rude man said:
Your a is off by 10%.
The MCAT may well use g = 10 m/s^2 for ease of calculation.

Ok, so i figured out what I was doing wrong. The fragment moving left travels a vertical distance of 25m. Right before it starts coming back down, its velocity at the highest point would be 0. I used this info to calculate time on the downward flight:

Y = Vi*t + 1/2gt^2
25 = 0 + 1/2(10m/s^2)*t^2
t = 2.2s

Now i can find the displacement of the fragment moving left:

X = Vi*t = 15m/s * 2.2s = 33m

For the fragment moving to the right, here's what I attempted:
After the explosion, vertical velocity is 20m/s and at the highest vertical distance it would be 0. The only acceleration it has during this segment is due to gravity downwards. I used this info to calculate the vertical height of the segment and time:

Vf = Vi + at
0 = 20m/s + (-10m/s^2)*t and t= 2s

Y= vi*t +1/2gt^2
Y = 20m/s *2s + 1/2 (-10m/s^2)(2s)^2
Y = 20m

The total vertical height is then 45m. Assuming velocity at the highest peak when fragment starts falling down to be 0m/s, i attempted to calculate the time of flight down:

Y = Vi*t + 1/2gt^2
-45m = 0 + 1/2(-10m/s^2)(t)^2
t turns out to be 3s and i used it to calculate horizontal displacement:

X = Vi*t = 15m/s * 3s = 45m
So the horizontal distance between the two fragments once they hit ground is 33m + 45m = 78m
However, that's not the right answer :(. What am I doing wrong?

For the particle going right you need the total time after the explosion, not just the time from the highest point.

Oh, so the time is 5s then. 2s after the explosion and 3s to come back down? If the total time is 5s then horizontal distance is 15m/s*5s = 75m and the total distance between the two fragments after they hit the ground is 33m+75m = 108m. That's the answer listed in the book.

1. What is kinematics motion?

Kinematics motion is the study of an object's position, velocity, and acceleration without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is projectile motion?

Projectile motion is the motion of an object that is launched into the air and moves along a curved path under the influence of gravity.

3. How do you calculate the displacement of an object in kinematics motion?

To calculate the displacement of an object in kinematics motion, you can use the equation d = vf*t + (1/2)*a*t^2, where d is the displacement, vf is the final velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

4. What is the difference between distance and displacement in kinematics motion?

Distance is the total length traveled by an object, while displacement is the change in position of an object from its starting point to its ending point.

5. How does air resistance affect projectile motion?

Air resistance can affect the trajectory of a projectile by slowing it down and changing its path. This is due to the force of air resistance acting in the opposite direction of the projectile's motion.