1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Kinematics of rolling ball question

1. Sep 8, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello, new here. I'm doing homework for my Honors Physics class, and I have a kinematics problem that seems simple enough, but I just can't get it. Help, please?

A ball is rolling on a table 1.225 m high at 6 m/s. After it rolls off, how long does it take to hit the ground?

2. Relevant equations

I used V^2= (Vo)^2 + 2a(X-Xo) to find final velocity, than used V= Vo+at to find time.

3. The attempt at a solution

V^2= (6 m/s)^2 + 2(9.8 m/s^2)(1.225 m) V= 7.7 m/s

t= (V-Vo)/a = (7.7 m/s - 6 m/s)/ 9.8 m/s^2 t= .17 s

I know this is wrong. My physics teacher told me to use Vx, not Vy, for Vo. I'm not quite sure how to go about this. Do I need to find the angle (which I'm not sure how to do in this problem) and use Vox= Vocos(theta)?

Any help would be appreciated. :redface:

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 8, 2007 #2

learningphysics

Homework Helper

On the table the ball only had a horizontal velocity... that only affects horizontal displacement... it doesn't affect vertical displacement.

What is the initial vertical velocity? You have a vertical displacement of -1.225m.

4. Sep 8, 2007 #3
    It doesnt matter what the horizontal velocity is, the 6m/s is there to confuse you. Only consider the vertical motion, Use Distance= Vo + 1/2at^2 where Vo (the initial vertical velocity) is 0. Oh, and only consider the distance travelled to be negative if you consider the acceleration to be negative.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?