Kinematics Problem but not enough information?

In summary, the train never reaches its maximum possible cruising speed, so it travels at a minimum time interval between the two stations. The minimum time interval of travel is 1420 m.
intriqet
Hi Guys, its my first post here and I have a feeling that I'll be using this forum as a resource. Maybe once I learn enough I'll be able to contribute in solving other peoples' homework problems.
Anyway, to the problem:

Homework Statement

A commuter train travels between two downtown stations. Because the stations are only 1.42 km apart, the train never reaches its maximum possible cruising speed. During rush hour the engineer minimizes the travel interval deltaT between the two stations by accelerating for a time interval deltaT1 at a1 = .100m/s^2 and then immediately braking with acceleration a2 = -.390 m/s^2 for a time interval deltaT2. Find the minimum time interval of travel deltaT and the time interval deltaT1.

So we are given:
A1 = .1 m/s^2 A2 = -.390 m/s^2
V i1 = 0 m/s Vf2=0m/s
delta X = 1420 m

Homework Equations

kinematics equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like I'm overthinking this one and am overlooking a relatively simple solution. I know can't use 1420 as deltaX because the train does not accelerate at one rate for the entire distance. Now I only have 2 variables for the first half of the problem.

Please any hints will greatly help asap. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
In the first half, vf = a1T1, in the second half vi = a2T2.
vf = vi = v.
Hence a1T1 = a2 T2. Find T1
Next x1 = 0.5*a1*T1^2...(1)
x2 = 0.5*a2*T2^2...(2)
Sustitute the value of T1 in eq.(1) and add it to eq.(2). (x1 + x2) is know. Find T2.

Thanks very much for the prompt reply but I am not quite sure I understand.

Based on your hint, I plugged in a1T1 for Vf in Vf^2-Vi^2 = 2AxDeltaX. leaving me with T1 = sqrt(2DeltaX).

Please tell me if I'm going the correct direction and please excuse the fact that I'm a complete DA.

intriqet said:
Thanks very much for the prompt reply but I am not quite sure I understand.

Based on your hint, I plugged in a1T1 for Vf in Vf^2-Vi^2 = 2AxDeltaX. leaving me with T1 = sqrt(2DeltaX).

Please tell me if I'm going the correct direction and please excuse the fact that I'm a complete DA.
You have to find T1 as
T1 = a2*T2/a1.Put it in equation (1)

Thanks to your help I was able to derive some answers! The answer I got for t2 is 50.1 s and t1 195 s. So the entire trip was 245 s long. Is this correct?

Your answers are correct.

Blurg! Webassign will not take my answers. Any other suggestions?

intriqet said:
bump
Have you entered delta T and deltaT1?

Yessiree. I think it's webassign but I guess I can skip this problem it's for extra credit.

1. What is Kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that studies the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What information is needed to solve a Kinematics problem?

To solve a Kinematics problem, you need to know at least three of the following: initial position, final position, initial velocity, final velocity, acceleration, and time.

3. Why is it important to have enough information in a Kinematics problem?

Having enough information in a Kinematics problem is important because it allows us to accurately predict the motion of an object and calculate important quantities such as position, velocity, and acceleration.

4. What are some common types of Kinematics problems?

Some common types of Kinematics problems include projectile motion, circular motion, and motion on an inclined plane.

5. What should I do if I don't have enough information in a Kinematics problem?

If you don't have enough information in a Kinematics problem, you can try to find additional information through other means, such as using equations of motion or using known values to solve for unknown quantities.